DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Will V7 take advantage of Duel CPU? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/77641-will-v7-take-advantage-duel-cpu.html)

Joey Atilano October 17th, 2006 07:57 AM

Will V7 take advantage of Duel CPU?

Im looking at upgrading my desktop to something like this

GT5228
AMD LIVE! Smarter Digital Entertainment; AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 4200+; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; 250GB hard drive; 2GB PC4200 DDR2 memory; Windows XP Media Center 2005; 9-in-1 digital media manager

What Im wondering is if it is better to have dual core and if Vegas would take advantage of it? Any advice would be great .

Joey

Edward Troxel October 17th, 2006 09:37 AM

It definitely will make use of multiple cores.

Vincent Croce October 17th, 2006 09:41 AM

so did version 6...

Version 7 is just supposed to utilize dual core more efficiently.

Joey Atilano October 17th, 2006 09:55 AM

Sweet

Thanks Guys

Jason Robinson October 18th, 2006 09:25 AM

I have both....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Atilano
What Im wondering is if it is better to have dual core and if Vegas would take advantage of it? Any advice would be great

I have used Vegas 6 on both a true Dual CPU system (Dual Athlon MPs) and a pseudo dual core (P4HT). They both eat up all available CPU. I have yet to find a machine where Vegas cannot saturate the CPUs (and here I was worried about disk IO).

jason

Terry Esslinger October 18th, 2006 11:48 AM

Jason,
What are you doing to get Vegas to 'eat up' both CPU. I have a dual core that shows only 60-70% of both CPUs being used when rendering. But don't have a lot of Fx either.

Vincent Croce October 18th, 2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger
Jason,
What are you doing to get Vegas to 'eat up' both CPU. I have a dual core that shows only 60-70% of both CPUs being used when rendering. But don't have a lot of Fx either.

Terry-With Vegas 6 and now Vegas 7 on my dual-core rig (X2 4600), I'm also getting 100% use out of both cores when rendering, whether I use lots of fx or not. It's cut my rendering times greatly from the P4 I upgraded from. Make sure you're running the latest proc driver from AMD. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html I also installed the dual core optimizer (first selection on the page) to help with apps that aren't designed for dual core (non multithreaded)...
Just a guess, but maybe a bottleneck, I/O or elsewhere, would prevent the cpu's from getting enough data to process at 100%. I'm running a raid0 array for my OS and apps--maybe this is helping me with respect to that.

Jason Robinson October 19th, 2006 09:29 AM

Codec dependant

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger
Jason,

Keep in mind that not all codecs are multithreaded. I don't believe Real is (could be wrong cause I don't use it). MPEG2 is BUT only on the local machine (network render will NOT multithread).

It could also be that I work on RAID storage so there is always enough data being fed to teh CPU. The two systesm I have are a 4 yr old dual Athlon MP 180+ with 512MB PC2100 ram and a 1yr old P4HT 3Ghz with 2.5GB DDR2 ram. bot have raid 0 storage.

jason

Richard Zlamany October 19th, 2006 12:10 PM

Do you get 100% dual cpu usage when rendering DV footage to DV .avi with no effects?

Vincent Croce October 20th, 2006 09:23 AM

Rich-
You're right, I don't get the 100% when rendering without fx to avi...I guess I almost always have fx of one type or another going on. My mistake.

Richard Zlamany October 20th, 2006 01:22 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I was always worried about not getting 100% usage because the old machine that I used in the past did have 100% cpu usage when rendering dv with no effects.

Vincent Croce October 20th, 2006 02:47 PM

Rich-
I've been using Magic Bullet on nearly all of my wedding projects, which is why I'm used to seeing the 100% on both cores...even just adding the film Looks taxes my little X2 to the max. You ready for another CT winter?

Richard Zlamany October 20th, 2006 07:15 PM

I'm ready and will enjoy it, but the football game I was suppose to shoot tonight wasn't. They cancelled because of the outlook of rain and high winds.

Vincent Croce October 21st, 2006 05:39 AM

Wow, cancelling a football game is a rare thing, but yeah, the wind was really kicking up last night. I think the temp dropped about 25 degrees in an hour. I was out and didn't have a cam with me to catch the way the clouds were sailing across the sky. Would've made great background footage. Hey, if you ever have a project brewing and you're in need of another man w/cam who's local, let me know.

Richard Zlamany October 22nd, 2006 09:55 PM

Sure thing Vincent.