DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   3 Screens With Vegas 7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/77942-3-screens-vegas-7-a.html)

Steven Bills October 21st, 2006 01:37 PM

3 Screens With Vegas 7

Is there any way to have 2 standard CRT monitors hooked up, and also have a TV hooked up as well?

Can Vegas 7 do this?

Thanks,

Steven

Edward Troxel October 21st, 2006 03:08 PM

Yes. You go firewire to a convertor/camera/deck and then analog (i.e. S-Video) to your TV/monitor.

Steven Bills October 21st, 2006 06:31 PM

So I have to have my camera hooked up as an intermediary from the computer to the TV? I have my primary monitor in the middle, my secondary monitor on the right, and I want a TV on the left for the director to use while I'm editing, so that he can see what I'm doing.

Make sense?

SB

Tip McPartland October 22nd, 2006 02:26 AM

Adjust sound delay...

Because of the processing time for the picture to go from firewire to video within the camera, the sound will be badly out of sync.

There is a menu choice to adjust the delay of the sound to match the latency of the video, it's pretty easy to sync it up, but if you don't know about this, you will have a bad moment!

Tip McPartland

Edward Troxel October 22nd, 2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
Because of the processing time for the picture to go from firewire to video within the camera, the sound will be badly out of sync.

Mine has always been in sync using the default settings. I've never seen previewing via firewire being "badly out of sync" on ANY of the systems I've setup. The audio WILL come from the computer, not the TV.

Don Bloom October 22nd, 2006 02:19 PM

Nor have I EVER seen audio out of sync while using a Tv or production monitor for preview purposes including on an old slow laptop I used to use.
Don

Steven Bills October 22nd, 2006 03:59 PM

So what are the "inbetweens" that you guys use, because I do not want to use my camera.

SB

Mike Kujbida October 22nd, 2006 07:11 PM

The usual recommendations are a Canopus box (ADVC-55, 110 or 300) or an ADS Pyro, depending on your budget.

Edward Troxel October 22nd, 2006 09:55 PM

I use my deck.

Matthew Chaboud October 23rd, 2006 12:22 AM

Another option.

If you have a dual PCIe system, you can use Windows Secondary Display to do this.

I've done a four-monitor setup before (mostly just to see what it was like).

Paul Kepen October 26th, 2006 04:55 PM

I have a Nvida 7800GT wich has dual monitor output. Vegas seems to output to my second monitor just fine. Is this not as good as using the firewire setup?
Also, the video card has TV out + HDTV component out. Is there anyway to get Vegas to use that, so that I can see what it will look like on a real TV or (HDTV) instead of a computer monitor?

Tip McPartland October 26th, 2006 07:10 PM

Audio latency...

My firewire goes through the JVC BR-D50 deck and that no doubt introduces the sync problem because I'm still taking my audio directly out of the computer's soundcard.

No doubt if I were to take my audio out of the deck that would eliminate the effect of the deck's video processing time. But then I wouldn't be getting the benefit of my rather nice sound card's very sweet DA converters and three zeros before a number THD. So I'll continue to use the sync dialog box, thank you.

And to suppose that sync can't be a problem begs the question: Why then did Sony give you that big ol' dialog box for syncing picture and audio?

As for component output from a video card, I've got a Matrox Parhelia and in Premiere I get pristine HD to my "TV" monitor. I was disappointed at first that Vegas doesn't support that output on the Parhelia, but I like so many things that Vegas DOES do that I can overlook the SD picture output. Besides, I suppose that a future upgrade could fix this, or I could always buy a Black Magic or Xena card that would give me HD-SDI or component ouput from Vegas which might someday be useful for mastering to HDCAM or D-5 deliverables as well as monitoring.

Tip

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 26th, 2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

My firewire goes through the JVC BR-D50 deck and that no doubt introduces the sync problem because I'm still taking my audio directly out of the computer's soundcard. Tip

That actually prevents sync problems due to latency found in firewire transfers.

Quote:

No doubt if I were to take my audio out of the deck that would eliminate the effect of the deck's video processing time. But then I wouldn't be getting the benefit of my rather nice sound card's very sweet DA converters and three zeros before a number THD. So I'll continue to use the sync dialog box, thank you.
Tip

Same answer as to above, but you're right, you get a much better monitoring option via your sound card.

Quote:

And to suppose that sync can't be a problem begs the question: Why then did Sony give you that big ol' dialog box for syncing picture and audio?

Tip

Sony provides that dialog because of the latency found in various soundcards and over the firewire bus.