Newbie Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 27th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie Question

Hi there, I searched the forum for this answer and found something, but not sure. I am titling a 16:9 project and I wnat the titles on the bottom (black box) On my preview monitor it looks fine but on the Vegas 6 Preview box the titles are below the top saftey line and above the bottom.

Would someone mind tellling me the difference between the two lines, i.e.top line is 4:3 and bottom is 16:9?

Thank you in advance for your response.
Bradley D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Have you set the Vegas preview monitor to "simulate device aspect ratio"?
Right click on it to enable this option.
If your preview monitor is a video model (as opposed to a computer one), I'd trust it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley D Barber
Hi there, I searched the forum for this answer and found something, but not sure. I am titling a 16:9 project and I wnat the titles on the bottom (black box) On my preview monitor it looks fine but on the Vegas 6 Preview box the titles are below the top saftey line and above the bottom.

Would someone mind tellling me the difference between the two lines, i.e.top line is 4:3 and bottom is 16:9?

Thank you in advance for your response.
What kind of project are you editing in? 4:3 or 16:9?
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Major Player

If it's an anamorphic 16:9 project, you can't put the subtitles in the letterboxed area because it's not really part of the image. And if it is 16:9 letterbox, you don't want to put your 16:9 into a 4:3 with a hard letterbox.

The two "safety" lines have nothing to do with aspect ratio. The inner box is the title safe area--you can safely put text inside that box. The outer one is the action-safe area--you anything outside that box may or may not be visible on a TV. Both 16:9 and 4:3 have these same safe areas, though their sizes are appropriate for the aspect ratio.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It was shot in 16:9 and I am editing that way. I have rendered and previewed it on 4 different tv's and it all looks good! The project is for broadcast so I just want to cover all of my bases!

Thanks for all of your help!
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Just to get it clear...
You shot and edited in 16:9 and you placed text in the 'black bars' above or below??
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I shot in 16:9 and I edited in 16:9.
I placed the titles in the bottom blackness, below the image. It all seemed to work out well. I printed to tape and and previed that way as well. I was worried that below the first set of safety lines, would not allow my titles to be seen. However there is a set of saftey lines below my text.

Should I change my saftey settings? I am still practicing to customize my workspace. I have never changed any of these factory settings.

Thanks for any help!
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Major Player

If a 16:9 program is played back on a 16:9 Tv the image will fill the entire screen and the black bars (and whatever is in them) would not be visible.

(edit) This would be true for a 'true' 16:9 program not one shot with the pseudo 16:9 such as with a PD150
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I shot the footage with a GL-2 in 16:9 mode. I previewed on good ole' regular tv. The text is in the lower box.

It has aired on television and all seems well. Trial by fire I guess! I would like to know if there are any settings I should change that would make sense, if I were to do this again.
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm curious, have you seen it played back on a widescreen 16:9 TV set? Since I believe the GL2 does not have 16:9 chips and it does 'pseudo' 16:9 (just like the PD150) it would probably work as you are just placing the lettering in a 'cropped' area.
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I did see it on a 16:9 screen. It looked fine. I did notice that when I burn it onto dvd it says it is a 4:3 project? I worked on it in 16:9 and probalby did the fit to screen "no letterbox" option was checked. However, by luck, it seems to work great! Thanks for your interest.
Bradley D Barber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...