DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Easiest way to Blur out Lisense plates on a moving vehicle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/78745-easiest-way-blur-out-lisense-plates-moving-vehicle.html)

Tony Jucin November 2nd, 2006 01:27 PM

Easiest way to Blur out Lisense plates on a moving vehicle?

Ok we are doing a racing documentary and Im still a newbie with this software. How do we blur out a plate and what are the steps to make it easier when the car starts moving? I know avid has a add on where it will actually follow it once you set it.
Thanks for your help!

Steven Houser November 2nd, 2006 01:37 PM

Motion tracking is easiest! Keyframing can also work!

What Software are you using? Fusion5 Vegas5,6or7 Adobe?
If I knew what software I probly can tell you what method!

David Jimerson November 2nd, 2006 01:45 PM

In Vegas 5 or later, your best bet is probably to use the bezier mask in the pan/crop tool.

You'd create two layers; in the top one, cut out everything but the plate. Then, apply the blur.

Edward Troxel November 2nd, 2006 02:06 PM

If the shape doesn't have to match exactly, you might even try the Cookie Cutter. It is very easy to do that way. I have a "Blurring Faces" writeup in Vol 1 #12 of my newsletters which is the same principle.

Kevin James November 2nd, 2006 05:53 PM

Doesn't Boris Blue have a new tracking tool for this sort of thing?

Tony Jucin November 2nd, 2006 06:29 PM

Vegas 6.0 guys

Glenn Chan November 3rd, 2006 12:53 PM

If the car is moving, I'd do what David suggests.

Setup two layers.
On the top layer, go into the masking tool under the pan/crop button.
Create a mask with four corners and feather it.
In the mask tool, drag the mask tool's playhead to the end and re-position the mask. Vegas will automatically put a keyframe them.
Then go into the middle and add a keyframe, and so on and so forth.

All the modifier keys are useful shortcuts. Hold crtl and repositioning a single point on the mask will reposition the entire mask. With the mask/pen tool, the modifier keys lead to the other tools.

2- If you do lots of this work, programs like AE and Boris and Combustion have motion trackers which will automate the re-positioning part. Doing things in Vegas isn't too time-consuming though.

Tony Jucin December 5th, 2006 01:03 PM

Ok heres the deal I am doing a racing video so in every scene the plates have to be blur so it might turn into a process.

Tony Jucin December 31st, 2006 01:49 PM

Anyone? Bueller?

Jamie Hellmich December 31st, 2006 03:04 PM

Duct tape...before you film. Cain't help you beyond that.

Jamie

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 31st, 2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Jucin
Anyone? Bueller?

Asked and answered.
Use the two track method of doing this, with a keyframe on the upper track.
Yes, it's a process.
Or, you can purchase Boris Red, which can track a specific pixel grid.
It's still a bit of a process.

Peter Jefferson December 31st, 2006 08:42 PM

i have doen this in the past with cookie cutter and gausian blur or pixelate on teh top layer.. then i track the motion as needed. UNLESS you need it to be very tight.. in which case id say mask it, but blur it (dont pixelate) it looks neater

Tony Jucin January 2nd, 2007 09:16 PM

Ok Im asking this because when you guys say that It makes no sense. Can someone give me a step by step example.

Thanks Im a damn newb!

Edward Troxel January 3rd, 2007 09:37 AM

Tony, look at Vol 1 #12 of my newsletters for the "Blurring Faces" article.

Tony Jucin January 8th, 2007 02:02 PM

Edward Great Read and Awsome articles!! Thanks!

Ok I figured it out somewhat. I was able to do the cookie cutter and what I cant figure out is 2 things.

One thing is how you are getting the blur? I add that in as an a effect and then add the cookie cutter I just get a black box from the cookie cutter. What is up with that and what am I doing wrong?

Also when I keep adding the dots in the time line I forget what you call them it is really choppy does that mean I have to go into more detail for moving them to stop it from doing that?