DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   A Way to Scene Split in Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/79100-way-scene-split-vegas.html)

Alex Thames November 7th, 2006 02:17 PM

A Way to Scene Split in Vegas?

I have several video clips that are just extremely long. There are several cuts (scenes) in these clips, and to make editing easier, I'd like to be able to split them into separate files for each cut. So one file per cut. Is there a way Vegas can do this?

Edward Troxel November 7th, 2006 09:02 PM

During capture, yes - you can get it to split wherever there are jumps in the date/time code. After capture, no.

Richard Alvarez November 7th, 2006 09:04 PM

Can't you just mark ins and outs, and excerpt them as seperate files? Rename them?

Edward Troxel November 7th, 2006 09:06 PM

You can render out sections to a new file and then delete the original file. If it's a DV-AVI file, the process would be lossless.

Alex Thames November 7th, 2006 09:19 PM

I'm working with a 16mm film transfer (turned into .mov video clips), which was not scene split during capture. So there's no way of splitting them up now?

Guy Bruner November 7th, 2006 10:12 PM

No....except you can go through the long event and split the video at the scene changes manually. Just drag the scrub bar through the video and at each scene change, press S to split it out. If you want to make these individual events separate from the project, you will have to select each one (make a region) and render them out to new files.

Matti Remonen November 8th, 2006 01:27 AM

Hi,
if I'm not completely wrong Scenalyzer can split existing AVI's based either on timecode (won't help you, though) or based on optical recognition.

Just donwload the demo from Scenalyzer website. Full version costs $39.

Terry Esslinger November 8th, 2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
I'm working with a 16mm film transfer (turned into .mov video clips),

I'm curious, why did you get the 16 mm film transfer in .mov instead of DV.avi?

Alex Thames November 8th, 2006 04:19 PM

It was transferred onto a Mini DV tape, which was then captured with Final Cut Pro as .mov. I don't have access to that Mini DV tape, only the .mov file on the Mac. But because I hate Macs, I connected an external hard drive (FAT32) to copy over the .mov files, which I then imported into Vegas for editing.

Richard Alvarez November 8th, 2006 06:49 PM

Isn't there a way to mark an in and out, and then 'subclip'? Creating a sub-clip of the longer piece?

Don Bloom November 8th, 2006 09:11 PM

yes you can do that and the beauty of Vegas is there are generally at least 3 different ways to do pretty much anything. ;-)

Don

Richard Alvarez November 9th, 2006 06:55 AM

Don,
That's 'the beauty' of every NLE I've worked with. It can also be a curse when you only know one way on one system, and can't find it on another.