How to render WMV-HD720P DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Trustee

How to render WMV-HD720P DVD?

Hi guys, I heard that the WMV-HD720P can be delivered on DVD. Can Vegas do this? I'm using an FX1e, shooting 1440x1080i.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

If you are using Vegas 7 just select one of the three (3) 720p render templates for WMV files to create the output. You will need some other way to get that file onto a DVD because DVD Architect only supports MPEG-2.

~jr
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #3

WMV9 is a non-compliant video file with the DVD specification, and, as such, cannot be written to a DVD as a "video format". having said that, once you've created a WMV9 file, it's sufficient to burn that file to a DVD disc as a data file, i.e. a DVD-ROM(ISO) file. This is the default selection in NERO, for example. You'll find that this will play in a player that can read WMV9 or DivX files, altho', there is no menu associated with this file type.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Trustee

Ah thanks for the great info guys! So does it mean that Divx is WMV-720P? I'm pretty confused with Divx cuz I have seen quite a few formats around. So what is the difference? So besides this WMV-720P, are there any other good methods? I will try this out first.
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah
So does it mean that Divx is WMV-720P?
No, DivX is yet another MPEG4 codec. It was created as an alternative to WMV. If you want to use DivX HD you must make sure your DVD player claims to be DivX HD compatible (it will have the logo on it). Mine plays DivX but not DivX HD. :(

~jr
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Sean,

I think you were reading the thread I started over on the weddings section?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...d/default.aspx

Not sure if this will make life any easier.

Hi John!

Any tips on "other" ways of burning a WMV-HD disc?

or........when do you thing DVD Architect will offer HD Burning capabilities?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks John & Alastair.. wow the MS thingy on creating the DVD sounds like quite a challenge.. can be done but pretty tedious huh? Do u actually go thru all of that to get the WMV-HD DVD done for playback on a PC? But then again it does work for wedding as many ppl r using laptop for playback..

Anyway I have completed just completed my WMV720-25P n I hope it will run on the DVD recorder (think it prob wouldnt!!)
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #8
Trustee

Update. The WMV didnt work on the DVD player. But the HD 720P did look great on the PC.
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Update. The WMV didnt work on the DVD player.
Do you have an HD DVD player or other player that specifically supports WMV HD? Because if you don't, it isn't going to work. Traditional DVD players only play MPEG2. Some newer DVD players added support for DivX and WMV in standard definition. Some "really" new DVD players support DivX HD and WMV HD in 720p. Your player needs to support the format you are giving it. I'm not sure if this was clear or not. You don't just get HD for free on an SD DVD player. The player must support HD to begin with.

~jr
Old December 18th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #10
Trustee

ok, I did more homework n I understand now. Would need a player like Avel Linkplayer II to make it happen..
Old December 18th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
ok, I did more homework n I understand now. Would need a player like Avel Linkplayer II to make it happen..
BINGO! You got the idea now. I learned the hard way. I bough a player that had the DivX logo but it wasn't the "DivX HD" logo and it was a no go. So you have to get a player that supports the format on DVD.

~jr
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Major Player

There only seem to be two or three players out at the moment that do this. Type in WMV HD Players in Google and you will get some links.

Hopefully they will become more the norm.

Even more hopefully, blu-ray burners drop to $50 and Sony release a DVD Architect HD Authoring update........PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Major Player

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/new...eID=634&CatID=

This may be what eventually shakes down to DVD-Architect?
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Major Player

and this is just out as well although I see it is getting reviewed as giving very soft images.

http://www.roxio.com/eng/products/dv.../overview.html

Oh well...at least it's a step nearer!
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Trustee

Wow.. Sony's solution is $$$$$$.. well, we will just have to wait for now but WMV720P is nice for laptop playback..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...