Vegas 4: scene detection ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 30th, 2003, 04:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VeGas4; scene detection ?

I jsut started using vegas4 recently, and i have read up a little on this scene detection feature they included. I was under the impression it would automatically break up your clips, but apparently i dont quite understand how it works. i tried to capture a 16 minute piece that was started and stopped many many times. It still caprtued it as one long segment...does the timecode actually have to restart again for this scene detection feature to werk? It is enabled in the settings of the capture section. Any others on here have any experience with using this feature?

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 05:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've had no problems with capturing in segments with Vegas 4 (but I can't capture in stereo with my PDX10P and Vegas is currently looking into this. I have to say that the Vegas support is excellent).

My capture in Vegas was a 18 min clip with many stops (resulted in 64 segmented clips). My timecode was date and time for the shoots and apart from the obvious paus between shoots the timecode was consecutive (?). If you have scene detection activated the only things I can see would cause the problem would be if you have activated any of the minimum, maximum or delay settings under capture.

Hans
Hans van Turnhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i have left all the settings at the default so far, i assumed it would be setup already. in the preferences of capture i have enable dv scene detection enabled, min clip length 1 sec, the capture start delay is not checked. under advanced capture pre-roll was already set to 5 secs; i left this. the only other place i that enything is set for delays is printing to tape settings....

Your segment was 18 min and your timecode ran continuously rite? when you say "pause" you mean pause in action? i mgoing to try and recapture later this evening again when i have some more time.

Old March 30th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

With pause I meant pause in time. These pauses varied in time (a minute, one hour, next day).
Hans van Turnhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

right, this is actually very poor clips i recorded off of VHS (which now i also am going to figure out if there's anyway to color correct, or at least make it look somewhat better). My dad took the camera this afternoon so im waitin till tonite to try it again... hopefully i can get it working so i dont have to log 40 different clips.

Old March 30th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Trey. I didn't catch what camera you are using. I assume it is digital? Scene detection only works with digital I believe. I recorded a gymnastics meet for my first test of my VX-2000, and panicked when I imported it into my V4, when I saw all of the little files, then I realized what it was.
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

GL1....but now im getting errors trying to capture...aviplug.dll, other files...my whole system has been running like a POS lately, so im going to FFR this beast and hopefully have it all up and running by tomorrow afternoon. such a pain...oh well.

Old March 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM   #8
Major Player

GL1 doesn't work with auto scene splitting

You aren't doing anything wrong. The Vegas scene spliting won't work with the GL1. Once in a while it will split some but generally it won't. It is because of the way the GL1 handles the timecode etc. I cant explain it but it is true. I have the GL1 and Vegas. Tapes that were recorded in other cameras or decks will be split by Vegas. If you want this done with the GL1 you'll have to use an optical scene spliter like in scenalyzer software.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

well that suks...i mean what characteristic does the camera need to perform this function? i figured most prosumer cams would be able to handle this. im gonna be getting a GL2 soon, im wondering if it will handle this scene detection. im going to keep lookin around to find more info on this scene detection feature. if it doesnt work on the GL1, then does it work on the XL1s? questions...questions...

Old March 31st, 2003, 09:39 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Vegas handles scene detection off the GL2 just fine. I suspect it would actually work okay off the GL1 as well, but only when your breaks are digital (when you're actually shooting with the GL1 and stop and start the tape), not optically, such as dubbing off VHS. I'd suggest you go get the free, offline version of scenalyzer and just run that over your capture. It will break up the scenes for you, and you can edit from there. In the future when you capture scenes that are shot on a GL2, they'll capture correctly with scene clips in Vegas.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:17 AM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

OK, here's the bottom line: Scene detection works just fine in Vegas with the XL-1, GL-1, GL-2... but is based on CHANGES TO THE DATE AND TIME. When the Date/Time jumps, a new scene will be created. The most common cause of scene detection not working is THE DATE AND TIME WERE NOT SET IN THE CAMERA.

Is the date/time set on your camera? If not, then scene detection CAN'T work.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i just did a wedding this weekend,...and most of the time, I had the tape just recording w/ no pauses..using the demo version of VV4 (until i receive the full version) I captured the entire tape at once using the 'capture tape' feature...now i'm new to NLE's and to VV in general,...but i noticed it captured one entire avi file per tape...when I open the avi file in vegas,...it seems to split it up into many little scenes...is this what everyone is talking about? Do i have the option to take each scene from there, and re-log, and split manually so as to organize all those clips? Does it still remain as one large file on the hard-drive? or should i expect a bunch of little clips separately saved? Thanks!
Basem Elsokary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:51 PM   #13
Sponsor: JET DV

No, that is not what they are talking about. Those are just the little images you can use to see where you are in the video.

For Vegas to split into multiple scenes, two things must be true:

1) The camera Date/Time MUST be set
2) Enable DV Scene detection must be turned on in the Vegas capture program.

If either of these is false, Vegas will capture into one BIG file.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:01 PM   #14
Regular Crew

i had both. i was having some pretty serious issues though, sometimes when capturing i would get errors in aviplug.dll. i hav enow FFR'ed my system and will be trying to recapture. hopefully this will solve me issues! ill let everyone know when i get it done (prob tomorrow).

Old March 31st, 2003, 11:59 PM   #15
Major Player

Well I'll be a son of a gun. Ed, I never did set my time on my GL1. I'm sure you are right. I can't wait to do my next wedding and not have to split all those clips (although in Vegas splitting is a breeze compared to premiere).

Ed Troxel Thanks a lot, and Trey sorry for misleading you but I'm am a happy camper if my scene detection works.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...