16x9 with rendering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16x9 with rendering

First I am confused. I shot a video in 16x9. I have about 8 tracks. I had to do some splits screens. But when I render the splits are all off.

EX: Lets say you have a quad screen with a clip in each. They are not even connected in the middle. When I am working and looking at it on the LCD TV and preview screen it looks right. But when I render it (16x9 widescreen) the main track looks good and normal I think but the rest is all screwed up. Also I think when I burned it that it had those black lines on the top and bottom. Why is that. Am I just confused on how 16x9 is suppose to work?

Pleas help and thanks again.

Jason
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jason,

Put a "check" in the "stretch video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox)" option in the "Render As" window. This may be your problem.

It also may depend on your Vegas version whether this option is available. I started with Vegas Studio Platinum, and found this problem, but Platinum did not offer it. I shortly thereafter upgraded to Vegas + DVD.

Jamie
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank You very much. It's amazing how something so simple could give me a huge headache and hours of trying to figure it out.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I got another problem now. When I am rendering my video does not fill the screen. It either has black bars on the sides or at the top. I have tried rendering in so many different ways.

I shot in 16x9. In properties it is widescreen and when I set it to mpg render I have changed it to 4:3 and 16:9. Both don't give a full screen.

I need some help.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jason,

Are you looking at the preview window when rendering, or the finished product?

If the preview window, ignore and review finished movie.

If finished movie, again, make sure you have the box checked in post #2 above.

You also may need to check that your display device is configured correctly...or your disk player, if that is the case.

Please provide more info if this doesn't fix it.

Jamie
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well I have edited it and I preview it just by playing it on vegas and it looks fine.

But when I render it and open it up DVDA it is chopped off on the top or the bottom. I have tried all kinds of settings. I am previewing this stuff through my camcorder and on to my 20" lcd 16x9.

I am now just doing test on test rendering a small section to see what it looks like.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks, Jason
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Have you set the DVDA project properties settings to 720X480 widescreen?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ha, I tried em all. I didn't render or anything just chose the 720x480 and then hit preview. I am needing to burn this to a dvd but right now I am crunched to time and I need to get the mpg right because it is being downloaded via ftp and waiting to be burned but they can't burn it cause it is not right.

My properties in vegas are NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps)
Then I choose render as and mpg 2. Then I choose custom. Then choose 16:9 because it is 4:3 by default I guess and when I did the 4:3 it was 4:3 and was squised on the screen.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Again, did you place a check in the "do not letterbox" option in "Render As"?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes, I did that. That fixed the problems with my split screens. I just rendered it as mpg and left the 4:3 in the custom and it looks squished on my lcd tv. So, I chose 16x9 on my tv and it stretched it out and it looks normal. But I need it to do that by itself or something.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
My properties in vegas are NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps)
Since you shot in widescreen, you need to set project properties to NTSC DV Widescreen. If you want the rendered video to be in full widescreen, you need to select a widescreen template and 'stretch video to fill output frame.'
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Since you shot in widescreen, you need to set project properties to NTSC DV Widescreen. If you want the rendered video to be in full widescreen, you need to select a widescreen template and 'stretch video to fill output frame.'
Ok well I got the first par right. Now on the wide screen template I just chose NTSC widescreen video stream? I had been choosing DVD NTSC and then going to custom and changing it to 16x9
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

After all the help I am still stuck. This video is clearly in 16x9. I checked the raw footage that I captured. Then the properties are set right on the project. But when it is rendered it is not in full 16x9 but instead comes out to 4x3. Now even though it is 4:3 you can tell it needs to be stretched out so I just change my tv to 16x9 and it looks fine. But I need it to be full screen when you put it in and that is where I am lost.

My client expressed this again this morning that it has to be fixed and I look pretty stupid saying I have no idea but it is clearly the truth.

Even someone is willing to call me please do. 214-347-4320.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Regular Crew

In Vegas (assuming original project is cut with Properties set to NTSC DV Widescreen):

File > Render As... -
Save as type: MainConcept MPEG-2 (*.mpeg)
Template: DVD NTSC
Check "Stretch Video To Fill Output Frame Size" box

Click "Custom"
Select "Video" tab
Set "Aspect Ratio" to 16:9 Display
Click "Okay"

Name your file and save

In DVD Architect:

File > Properties - In "Video Format" select NTSC Widescreen (720x480)

There may be better templates to use in Vegas, but this way ensures that what comes out is a 16:9 encoded mpeg. And I hope you don't think I'm treating you like a simpleton, but I wanted to cover all bases. Follow these steps and you WILL have a 16:9 DVD. (I hope)

Cheers
Pat
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well I want to give a big Thanks to Guy Bruner. Yesterday I was in a jam and he took time out of his day to help me get it right. I really appreciate that.

I think I narrowed down my problem. PJ Gallagher everything that you mentioned is what I had done. Only when it got over to DVDA I was previewing it through my camcorder onto the screen and it had the bars on the top and bottom. But when I burned it they were not there.

Thank you all for you help and a big ups to Guy Bruner once again for taking time out to help yesterday.
Jason Simpkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...