crossfade between scenes. How to? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Major Player

crossfade between scenes. How to?

Sorry...always used PP2 and am determined to become fluent in my new copy of Vegas 7.0c, but I'm making life difficult by learning whilst working on a project for a client! Muppet...I know! (fortunately they are not present at any stage)!

So, just so I don't abandon Vegas and wimper back to PP2 for an easy life can someone please let me know how you apply and alter a crossdissolve or crossfade between two scenes that I've snapped together. Sometimes I right click on the cut and select crossfade and it works fine....other times it gives me the crossfade icon but no control and no crossfade. If, however, I drag and overlap the two scenes I can do it, but that screws up audio sync etc.

I'm after an easy way such as dragging 'dissolve' over the join as in PP2 and dragging out the length of dissolve. I'm sure there is one......I'm eagerly awaiting enlightenment, the easy way!

Many thanks
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

To crossfade two clips, simply overlap them on the timeline (You'll see sort of an "X" in the overlapped area). The larger the overlap, the longer the crossfade. The great thing about this method is that you don't have to worry about "heads" and "tails" on the various clips.

If you want a transition other than a crossfade, just drag that transition onto the crossfade.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

"If, however, I drag and overlap the two scenes I can do it, but that screws up audio sync etc. "

To avoid this, first make sure the audio and video are still grouped (hold the Ctrl key, click on the video clip and then the audio clip) then hit the "G" key and audio/video will be grouped.

Now, when you drag the second clip over the first, the audio will follow and BOTH will be cross-faded... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Steve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leverich
"If, however, I drag and overlap the two scenes I can do it, but that screws up audio sync etc. "

To avoid this, first make sure the audio and video are still grouped (hold the Ctrl key, click on the video clip and then the audio clip) then hit the "G" key and audio/video will be grouped.

Now, when you drag the second clip over the first, the audio will follow and BOTH will be cross-faded... Steve
Steve has your answer. You will have no end of annoyance if you do not check your Ripple Edit settings as well. Make sure you know how they act and when to leave them off (for me, most of the time).

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys. That's brilliant. This forum sure is a 'bacon saver'!

Stuart

(just in case anyone out there doesn't understand my cockney terminology; 'this forum saved me a huge potential headache').
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

The audio and video events should automatically be grouped as long as they came from the same clip. If they're not moving together then they've either been ungrouped (by pressing "U") or "Ignore Event Grouping" could be turned on.

Another way of quickly getting a crossfade (assuming you allowed for a head and tail) is to put the cursor on the cut and press "/" on the numeric keypad.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Ed

Just while we're on this subject...what is the correct way of doing a transition between 2 clips on DIFFERENT tracks. I guess a crossfade is straightforward - just line up the fade envelopes. But if you want, say, a flash - do you put a flash at the end of the upper track and at the beginning of the lower one?

Thanx

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ian, I have no idea why you wouldn't have the events on the same track but, to answer your question, the way you described it is the way to do it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Mike

You may have track motion on one track or it may be easier to apply effects at track level. I find it's a lot easier keeping such events on separate tracks rather than trying to keyframe the effect/motion.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...