preview windows got the jitters! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

preview windows got the jitters!

Yep, another question from a PP2 to Vegas 7.0c convert. Why does my preview footage jitter? It doesnt jitter when looking from trimmer tab. Even if it is set to Preview Full and best quality, it's only SD 25p and my computer has;

Intel Pentium Core 2 duo 2.66
2 g RAM
2 x 320gb Raid 0 HDDs
1 x 80gb HDD for system etc
Nvidia GForce GeForce 7950GT
Cineform Connect for HD work

I can preview rushes perfectly from media manager, trimmer, etc, but as soon as I put any footage on the timeline it all goes pear shaped. I don't want to have to selectively prerender all my rushes added to the timeline! An hour long project would take forever! It should play fine! What am I doing wrong?

This computer 'flies' in PP2! I even get better playback when using Premiere Elements!

Please someone point out the blindingly obvious for me.
Thanks
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd love to offer you an answer but.......it bugs the heck out of me as well! I'm running in PAL what are you in?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Major Player

yep, PAL for me too. Are you running a powerful machine too?

I ended up deleting the project I was working on and starting again. The problem seems to be caused by applying any envelope effect (such as pan, crop, motion blur, fade to colour ) etc etc etc. You'll notice this applies a thin red line to the whole of your key timeline. I guessed it was due to Vegas trying to render the entire timeline in realtime regardless of where the actual effect transition really was! I seem to have cured the problem by hitting 'S' and splitting the timeline and moving the area I want to manipulate down onto another track and applying my effect there, thus only affecting a small portion of the project rather than the whole. You'll notice the effect is applied to the 'track' and not the area you are working. This is one thing I'm not too keen on in Vegas so far.

Having said all that...I still don't understand why something like that should affect my rendering in the preview image when I'm editing Standard Def DV, especially when I've had one hell of a powerful edit machine built!

I'm also finding that Vegas crashes 8 times out of 10 when I try to selectively prerender a portion of video with many effects applied. Sony's answer was to back up my registry and re-install Vegas! Thanks Sony, I only installed Vegas for the first time last week on a brand new edit specific machine! Does'nt bode well!

Let me know how you get on and good luck.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM   #4
Major Player

I think you answered your question. By applying filters/effects, you are asking Vegas to work too hard.

My PC is only a 3200 Athlon with 2Gb of ram and a 250Gb 7200rpm 16Mb Buffer system drive.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...