Mask Tracing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mask Tracing

I want to use a mask to trace a moving object so I can darken just that object, and I know I can keyframe the mask as it moves, but obviously going frame by frame takes forever (and still you have problems of the image appearing manipulated if you're not insanely careful and exacting when creating or changing the mask to fit the object).

I know in Photoshop there are tools to help you trace the outline of an object using different methods... ie the magic wand. Anything like that for Vegas and tracing masks?

I have footage of just the background in addition to footage of the background and the object. Can I somehow use the difference to make an accurate mask tracing the object?

Last edited by Will Hanlon; January 2nd, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try using the Bezier mask tool (found in the Pan/Crop window) to trace the object.
The discussion on the Sony Vegas forum at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=501099 should help you out with some of it's intricancies.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I looked at that link, and I really don't think the Bezier mask tool will help much. I can trace the shape of the object just fine using the pen and anchors, but the problem comes in when the object moves, and I try to change the mask to match the movement. It's too difficult to manually do this... I'd need set points of reference on the object to ensure nothing looks doctored when it's all done.

That link did mention some other interesting apps like Combustion and Fusion... anyone use those? It mentioned another one that had a masking tool like what I want, but said it cost $300k, which is too rich for my blood.

I found another program called EffectsLab, which can create image-based masks from alpha, luminance and RGB values... I think that's what I need since that sounds similar to the magic wand in Photoshop.

Anybody know of anything else or an easy way to accomplish this?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Is $300 too much?
If not, then take a look at BorisFX at http://www.borisfx.com/products/FX/
Among it's many features is motion tracking, stabilization and corner pinning.
Go to the animated demo page at http://www.borisfx.com/products/FX/flash.php and you'll see an example of this feature.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's awesome. $300 isn't too much for me as long as it gets the job done, and that looks like an amazing plugin. The motion tracker looks like it should be able to do what I want... I guess if I found the motion path, maybe I could apply that to a mask? Hmm. Its masking system looks more advanced anyway. Thanks for the info.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It looks so good that I'm going to talk to my boss here at work and see if I can buy it :-)
There's a trial version that you can download and play with to see if it'll do the job for you.
There's also a training tutorials page at http://www.borisfx.com/tutorials/#fx
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...