DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Trouble with Large Wave Files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/83357-trouble-large-wave-files.html)

Dan Keaton January 7th, 2007 03:03 PM

Trouble with Large Wave Files

I recorded a concert using a Sound Devices 744T.

The files were recorded in polyphonic format, using four channels.

Using the Explorer Window in Vegas 7.0b, I am able to drag the files to the timeline, and the files are properly placed on four tracks.

I have been editing the files succesfully until I tried a very large file.

However, I can not drag a 2.17 GB file to the timeline. I get a "circle with a slash" indicating that I can not place the file on the timeline. I have tried other large files with the same results.

The largest file that I could place on the timeline successfully, was 478 MB.

I split the 2.17 GB files into four monophonic (single track) files, each 542.57 MB long. These single track files can not be dragged to the timeline either.

I have tried both settings of "Render Large Wave Files as Wave64" in Options|Preferences.

I am able to successfully load these large files into Neundo 3 so I know the files are not corrupt. Also the Fostex BWF Manager was able to read and split the files successfully.

I tried starting a new, empty Vegas project. This makes no difference. Each file was recorded as 24Bits, 96K samples per second.

I assume that there is some problem with ".wav" files over 512MB.

I welcome any suggestions. I will be downloading Vegas 7.0c tomorrow.

Edward Troxel January 7th, 2007 04:01 PM

I thought WAV files had a 2Gig limit which is why Vegas always rendered to W64 for the PTT option.

Seth Bloombaum January 7th, 2007 06:27 PM

Yup, a 744t will allow you to make a wav file you can't open in most applications.

I've had good luck with cutting wavs from a 744 into smaller pieces with audacity, then bringing them into vegas. What's odd, of course, is you shouldn't see any problems of this sort with a 512MB file...

Had good luck with a 744t, bwf splitter and vegas 6.

I think Vegas 7 allows direct import of polyphonic waves, although you have to rename them .wav if they were imported as .bwf. Vegas will not allow anything over a 2GB wave, bwf or not. But audacity will...

audacity.sourceforge.net

Dan Keaton January 8th, 2007 04:18 AM

Dear Edward and Seth,

Thanks for the information. I will split up the files.

By the way, what is "PTT Option"?

Dan

Dan Keaton January 8th, 2007 07:54 AM

I have upgraded to Vegas 7.0c.

The results are the same. Large ".wav" files can not be dragged onto the timeline.

I have sent an email to Vegas Technical Support. I will report what they say.

It is my intention to break up the files into smaller chunks.

Dan Keaton January 8th, 2007 08:30 AM

Dear Edward,

OK, I figured it out.

PTT = Print to Tape

Edward Troxel January 8th, 2007 08:45 AM

Yes, Print To Tape = PTT