Can I use Vegas as a DAT data backup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Can I use Vegas as a DAT data backup?

Hello. I'd like to know if I can use Vegas 6.0 (or Acid Pro 3.0 for that matter) as a substitute for a DAT backup. Has anyone ever done anything like this?
This is for a Roland VS-1680 16-track recorder. The unit has a file error in a specific sector and as a result I can not burn to a (scsi) cd drive. I may however, be able to use the back-up to DAT function but I do not own a DAT recorder. My intention here is to save certain data prior to a needed reformat on the unit. The Roland has digital (RCA) and optical outs.
Any insights would be appreciated.
Scott E Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, it oughta' work. No guarantees. If there is a way to confirm that you can reload before your reformat of the Roland, you should do it.

But before we get to Vegas, you'll need a sound card with s/pdif (that's the consumer spec digital RCA) or toslink (that's the stereo optical) inputs to pull the digital signal off your Roland. And then of course the same output off that soundcard to get back into your Roland.

Be aware that any old audio RCA cable may or may not work. 75ohm video cables with RCA on both ends are a much better bet. Shorter is better, too.

In Vegas' audio prefs you should be able to find drop down menus for all properly installed soundcard inputs and outputs - select the right ones, then record to a track.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Seth. I appreciate it!
Scott E Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...