Some questions about Sony Vegas 7 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
In fact, she was specifically concerned that Vegas wouldn't do 3 or 4 point editting. In fact, it can, in the trimmer as Glenn said...they just don't call it 4 point editting.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but what is a 3 or 4 point edit? or alternatively, what does Vegas call it?

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #32

Floris, you'll want to capture what the camera outputs; .m2t.
I hope you'll find the DVDs useful in your learning.

Kyle, Sony don't call a 3/4 point edit anything specifically, it's odd that the term is left out of their manual.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #33
Major Player

Thanks Spot,
Can you tell me exactly what it is?

Thanks.
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #34

As described by "Digital Movie Making."
"In digital video editing, three-point editing is an editing method used to insert a clip from the source media into a destination track, which is done by setting three edit points. The first two set points define the in and out points of the clip, or the in and out points in the timeline that the clip will fit into. The third point indicates either the In or Out point for the clip (if the other tow points are in the timeline), or the in and out points in the timeline (if the other two points are in the clip). " (I was too lazy to come up with my own description, and happened to have this PDF).

Four point is the same, but determining both in and out, rather than either In or Out.

Vegas is capable of either one, along with rolling edits, slip edits, slip n' slide edits, and with a script add-on (free), insert edits.
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #35
Major Player

Ahh I see - thanks. I've always done those manually. How would *you* go about doing, say, a three point edit in Vegas?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #36

1. have a hole somewhere on your timeline, or create a selection on an empty track (if you have the hole, double click inside the hole to create a selection).

2. Open a clip in the trimmer. Place your cursor on the frame in the trimmer, that you wish to be the In point of the clip.

3. Hit the A key (for Add) and the media will auto set it's Out Point to coincide with the Out point set on the timeline.

You'll see the media from the Trimmer added to the timeline, filling your hole or selection.
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #37
Major Player

Thanks, that clears up a lot!
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #38
Major Player

Thanks heaps!! That's a great tip.

Cheers,
Kyle
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #39
Major Player

I have started working with Vegas and I must say I really like the program. It really IS a tank as whatever I throw at it does not disturb it at all. I also received the VASST total training DVD's. I have only checked the first bit of the Volume 1 DVD and I must compliment Douglas and John with it. The training is easy to follow and everything you need to know is explained.

After all the trouble with Premiere... this really feels like a fresh start.

I have one questions for Douglas though... with PAL footage, what is the correct timeline ruler format setting? Do I use the SMTPE EBU setting or the regular 29,97fps setting?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #40
Major Player

Hi Floris,
If you are editing PAL and outputting PAL, use the 25fps ruler.

Cheers,
Kyle
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #41
Major Player

Thanks Kyle! I have another question regarding harddisk usage. I have a computer with five harddisks in the following setup:

(DISK 1 - OS DISK) Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7.200RPM
(DISK 2) Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7.200RPM
(DISK 3) Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7.200RPM
(DISK 4) 2x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10.000RPM in RAID 0

Which are the optimal settings to maximize performance? To which disk(s) do I render, where do I store my files, where do I store audio, temporary files... or in other words what are the smartest directory settings?

I think I should render to the RAID 0 array. But do I also capture to it? And where do I store the temporary files? On the OS disk (default) or on 2 or 3?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #42
Major Player

"After all the trouble with Premiere... this really feels like a fresh start."

I came from Ulead to Premiere to Vegas. And I truly love Vegas. After using for about 4 years, there's still so much that I don't know (because of the depth of the program) but having said that, it's so intuitive that I don't worry about it.

But one thing that makes me so mad I can hardly stand it. I opened the Feb 6th issue of PC magazine, and discover that the issue is entirely devoted to video. Their software of choice???? No question - Adobe Premiere!!! I'm freakin' The second choice - Final Cut Pro. Now I'm pukin'. No mention of Vegas, and they are supposedly talking to rank amateurs - people who could really benefit from a very intuitive program that's fast, flexible, and doesn't crash.

It just makes me crazy.
Milt Lee
(Shameless self - promotion - check out a couple of new pieces I just did with vegas: http://oyate.com/rezup.html)
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #43
Major Player

Hi Floris,
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.
I'd probably capture to the raid array - not so much because it'll help capture (any of your drives should capture fine), but so that you are using it to edit and it may help you get better playback/easier realtime, etc.
Then I'd render to either 'DISK2' or 'DISK3'. You'll get faster renders to DV, uncompressed, etc by rendering to a different drive than the one the media is on.

Hope that helps,
Kyle
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:16 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
One thing I would like to ask here is about a good Vegas workflow. The capturing panel looks simple but maybe there are more advanced features. I am shooting a theatre production right now and therefore I have 2x 63 minutes of tape without any scenes. What is the best way to deal with the footage? I suppose that if I capture everything I will end up with a 13GB .m2t file which willl not be appreciated by my computer. So I have to split it up. Is there something like logging with batch capture in Vegas?

As always: thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate it.

vegas smartly limits files to 4gb automatically when you've got a fat32 file system (at least i don't remember setting any option for this). so if you capture >4gb of data you'll automatically get more than one file.
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:43 AM   #45
Major Player

Thanks. Somehow that is the opposite of what was recommended for Premiere. Because rendering is the most intensive task, Adobe recommends using your fastest harddisks for rendering/scratch. I just want to maximize my performance in Vegas... so I hope someone can clear this up.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...