Some questions about Sony Vegas 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Some questions about Sony Vegas 7

I am using a trial version of Sony Vegas 7 right now. I was working with Adobe Production Studio but I am not very happy with the pefromance of Adobe Premiere Pro. Lots of crashes and irritations.

I have a Canon XL-H1 (PAL) and was wondering if I can work with Canon 25F in Sony Vegas? Also, can I export it back to tape?

Another thing I cannot find out is how to move the timeline from the top to the bottom. I read about it in a review but cannot find the place where I can change this. Finally, how good does Vegas 7 work for you?

I hope you can provide me with some feedback.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Another thing I cannot find out is how to move the timeline from the top to the bottom. I read about it in a review but cannot find the place where I can change this. Finally, how good does Vegas 7 work for you?
Options - Preferences - Display tab. Check the box that reads "Dock windows at top of main window."

You may also want to check "Position tabs at top of docked windows".
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your help. Do you know if there are any good training books available for Sony Vegas 7? My problem with Sony Vegas is that the program is fundamentally different compared with Final Cut Pro (where I am coming from) as well as Adobe Premiere Pro (which I am using now).
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Major Player

This might be a silly question, but did you download the pdf manual rather than just using the help file version? It is very straight forward and should help you understand Vegas fairly quickly. They both contain the same information but you'll probably find the pdf easier to move through and read.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=696
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Thanks for your help. Do you know if there are any good training books available for Sony Vegas 7? My problem with Sony Vegas is that the program is fundamentally different compared with Final Cut Pro (where I am coming from) as well as Adobe Premiere Pro (which I am using now).
The best book available is for Vegas 6 and it's called Vegas 6 Editing Workshop by Douglas Spotted Eagle. The PDF manual with Vegas 7 and help file can instruct on the differences between Vegas 6 and 7. Most of the differences are with HD. The book is excellent and an invaluable reference.

There's also many excellent training DVDs for Vegas, including Vegas 7. Check out the materials on www.VASST.com.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Can anyone tell me if Vegas supports Canon 24F/25F and also export back to tape for those two modes?

Also, the VASST training DVDs for Vegas... are they region 0? Or in other words, can I play them on my PAL DVD player?
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Major Player

I would assume that Vegas 7 supports Canon 24F/25F since version 6 apparently does. See this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58881
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #8

Yes, 24f is supported in Vegas 7.
VASST DVDs are not region encoded. They are NTSC, but no regions specified.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks DSE. I already thought they would be, but just wanted to make sure. I am diving into the program at this moment and although it is completely different then any other NLE I used... it looks and feels solid. The only thing I care about now is stability... and it looks like it is there. But I need to start working with it to make a good judgement. The problem is that things are not really easy to figure out so I am reading the manual right now. One other question I have about the DVDs... are they really advanced or also a good place to start (i.e. see a Vegas workflow in action?)

One thing I would like to ask here is about a good Vegas workflow. The capturing panel looks simple but maybe there are more advanced features. I am shooting a theatre production right now and therefore I have 2x 63 minutes of tape without any scenes. What is the best way to deal with the footage? I suppose that if I capture everything I will end up with a 13GB .m2t file which willl not be appreciated by my computer. So I have to split it up. Is there something like logging with batch capture in Vegas?

As always: thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate it.
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Anyone about the best way to capture one tape with 63 minutes non-stop footage without any scenes? I am eager to find out.
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #11

Capture Preferences/disable scene detection.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Ok... but then I will have one 15/20 GB .m2t file? Can I work with files this big without hurting my sytem too much? What I would like to do is to set in and out points and then batch capture? Is this possible in Vegas? I have tried to find an option like this but have not succeeded so far.

Sorry to ask all these questions but I have bought the Adobe studio for $1600 and had nothing but trouble with it. Before I spend more $ on software I want to make sure that it will work for me.

I am seriously considering moving back to Apple again at this moment.
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

what is 24F? i've heard of i and p, just wondering what f could possibly mean.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Floris,

Open the capture window, click the advance capture tab, this is where you can log your in and out points to set up batch capture. Go to help > contents and index, enter "advance capture" and click "list topics" and then in the topics listed double click "Logging clips for batch capture" and follow the instructions.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Major Player

I feel really stupid but I cannot find the advanced capture button. The timecode in & out and flag icons are all greyed out. The manual mentions an advanced capture button in the transport stream but I cannot find that button anywhere in vegas. What do I do wrong? I am looking in both the search and the Vegas 7 manual they do not explain this further.

Update:

I am not sure if this advanced capture is supposed to show in Vegas as well or only in Sony Video Capture 6.0. Anyway, I get the following message:

Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit Device could not be opened

Why do I get this message?

I can connect to my Canon XL-H1 within Sony Vegas but not with the external capture application. Can someone tell me what it is going on here?

Last edited by Floris van Eck; January 16th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...