How do I have several clips play simultaneously within one frame at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 14th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Major Player

How do I have several clips play simultaneously within one frame

Hi. I have four different video clips and I want them each to play simultaneously within one frame. In other words, have the project frame split into four quarter frames and have the video clips playing within each of these quarter frames, independently from one another, meaning, i can still edit each of them separately without effecting the other clips. sort of like how the Charlie's Angels opening sequence works... with the screen being split into two or three or four different video clips.

I tried accomplishing this by: putting each clip on a different track > resizing the frame size of each of the four tracks so that they are each exactly one quarter of the project frame size > and then placing each of them so that they perfectly tile the project frame and fill it completely with four different and separate video clips.

BUT...

I couldn't find how to re-size the frame sizes. All I managed to do with the crop tool is to close-up on part of the frame which results in showing a quarter of the frame blown up to full project frame size... Not what I wanted.

Even if I DID find out how to re-size the frames rather than zoom in or zoom out on them, I couldn't figure out how to move the down-sized clips around within the project frame.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I suspect you were trying to use the Pan/Crop tool for this.
While it's OK, Track Motion is easier. This tool is found in the track header.
All you need to do is click on a corner of the box, drag accordingly to resize. release and then click in the box to drag to the desired location.
Edward Troxel covers this technique in his free newsletters, specifically Vol. 1, #2, 3, & 4 (Creating a PIP using Track Motion).

Where I suspect you went wrong with Pan/Crop was zooming in instead of out.
To zoom out, the first thing to do is change the Zoom% setting. It's under Workspace on the left side of Pan/Crop. Changing this to around 50% allows you to see a much wider view. Now grab a corner of the corner of the window and drag it out, causing it to shrink. Once you get it to the desired size, position it as desired. Repeat this process for the other three tracks.

I hope this helps.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Major Player

perfect! thanks.
Adi Head is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...