Thumbnail question: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Tourist

Thumbnail question:

Have a problem with ragged borders on thumbnails in Vegas 6 and DVDA 3. In both cases, my thumbnails show thin strip of black on left edge and ragged color on bottom edge. Top looks fine.

These are not seen when actual movie plays in final dvd, but they do show in all thumbnails. Although I've yet to figure out how to add a frame to cover the edges of thumbnail, (appears this would mask/hide the problem), I am trying to understand the reason for the problem first.

Capturing VHS tape via firewire and canopus dv converter. Any advice greately appreciated. Thanks all!

Last edited by John Greenwood; January 16th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
John Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Trustee

out of sync?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Greenwood
Have a problem with ragged borders on thumbnails in Vegas 6 and DVDA 3. In both cases, my thumbnails show thin strip of black on left edge and ragged color on bottom edge. Top looks fine.

These are not seen when actual movie plays in final dvd, but they do show in all thumbnails. Although I've yet to figure out how to add a frame to cover the edges of thumbnail, (appears this would mask/hide the problem), I am trying to understand the reason for the problem first.

Capturing VHS tape via firewire and canopus dv converter. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
I had a sony super8 that distored the far left 10 or so pixels and the top 5 with horrible color problems. the ccd was probably just shot because it was old. i imagine that vhs might suffer the same problems when played back through DV because a TV don't display the whole image.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Tourist

sync?

Thanks Jason! Perhaps this is the case with vhs. I did discover this morning before work that by using a different background with framed thumbnails, it would cover the flaws. Looks as though I will proceed down this route until I discover other avenues.
Again, thanks.

John
John Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Jubal 28

That's exactly what VHS will look like when you capture it digitally -- it's got stuff in the edges you never see on a TV because the TV overscans the image, cutting off all of the edges.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Tourist

David, I appreciate your input regarding the VHS transfer. Learn something new everyday! Thanks guys. There's a tremendous amount of knowledge available by reading the posts on this site, and I try to do so daily!

John
John Greenwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...