DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   My saving quality? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/84150-my-saving-quality.html)

Ryan Hand January 17th, 2007 02:44 PM

My saving quality?

I have this problem all the time. When I try to save I don't know how to get the quality right? Its runs all slow and looks as if it has lines through it. Like TV scan lines, but I do not apply and effect like that. I don't know I know how to save properly.

EDIT: This is Vegas 6

Steven Bills January 17th, 2007 03:30 PM

Those scan lines mean that your footage is interlaced, and if by save you mean render, then simply check the deinterlace checkbox in the render dialogue.

David Jimerson January 17th, 2007 03:31 PM

OK, slow down there . . .

I assume you mean "render" and not "save" . . .

What are you trying to render?

How are you trying to render it? Format? Codec? Settings?

Be as detailed with all of that as you can.

Just general principles . . . if you're rendering as NTSC DV, you'll see the "scan lines" if you play the video on a computer, because that's the nature of interlaced video like NTSC. You'll also see it if you watch it on a progressive TV like an HDTV a lot of the time.

You won't see it on a standard TV, though.

Why it would be "slow," I'm not sure. Are you rendering uncompressed AVIs or MOVs?

Ryan Hand January 17th, 2007 05:27 PM

I do mean render. I am actually trying to save or "render" a video my son made of a game called Call of Duty 2. He did all his editing but can't get the quality to render the way it shows in the preview. I have no Idea what, or how to change the settings. I'm just a dad trying to help his kid.

He says it "saved" and looked better in Windows Movie Maker and doesn't know why it doesn't work the same way.

Mike Kujbida January 17th, 2007 08:55 PM

When you "save" in Vegas, you're saving the project file (.veg file).
When you render, you're converting what's on the timeline to the desired output format (avi, mpg, wmv, mov, etc.).

What format did your son use when he saved it in Windows Movie Maker?

I'll ask David's question again ands add one of my own.
You said "my son made of a game called Call of Duty 2" but that doesn't tell us anything. What format was the original video? Was it a computer capture of some kind? Did he shoot it with a camcorder?
How are you trying to render it? Format? Codec? Settings?
Be as detailed with all of that as you can.

Quite honestly, the only way anyone can help you is with an answer to these questions.

Ryan Hand January 18th, 2007 07:14 AM

I'm at work now, Ill check his settings when I get home and edit this post.

Jason Robinson January 18th, 2007 11:34 AM

details

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Hand
I'm at work now, Ill check his settings when I get home and edit this post.

if you rendered to a 320x240 WMV file in vegas but he rendered in movie maker to a raw windows AVI (640x480) then of course his would look better.

we don't mean to sound harsh, but the proof and solution is all in the details.

jason

Jason Robinson January 18th, 2007 11:51 AM

details

Dupe post..... deleted

Ryan Hand January 18th, 2007 06:03 PM

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7...titled1tl5.png

Those are the current settings. He uses in Windows Movie.

Mike Kujbida January 18th, 2007 06:16 PM

Thanks for the settings Ryan but you still haven't answered a few other questions.
What format was the original video?
Was it a computer capture of some kind?
Did he shoot it with a camcorder?
Answer these and some answers will be forthcoming.
BTW, Vegas can easily match (or exceed, if desired) those settings.

Ryan Hand January 19th, 2007 01:57 PM

He used and in-game record function. Then used a program called Fraps. It saves in AVI Format.

Mike Kujbida January 19th, 2007 05:06 PM

I'm not a gamer and have never used Fraps so I searched other Vegas forums.
I found a post where one poster was talking about the exact same issue you are (the thread was titled "My Video comes out blurry!!!") and, interestingly enough, the same game too :-)
The thread raised another question that hasn't been asked here yet and that is "what kind of movie do you want to make? Something to be played on a DVD or just a computer?
Here's some suggestions for you , depending on the route you want to take.
If it's for a DVD, render using Best mode in the Video rendering quality box. Also, use CBR at the max. of 8,000,000.
If it's for a computer, WMV is fine. Apparently Fraps allows you to record at much higher resolutions and frame rates than normal video. Make sure when you're rendering to match the original file properties as closely as possible. Vegsa allows you to tweak a lot of settings once you go into the Custom tabs area. For example, WMV can be rendered out at up to 1440 x 1080 and a frame rate of 59.94.

Finally, this message was in the Fraps Support FAQ.
"Pixelated/blocky capture with 84.xx Forceware drivers. Download fix in latest official nVidia driver (93.71)"

Ryan Hand January 19th, 2007 07:53 PM

This is just for the internet. How can he edit customize the settings all he sees is description and render quality.

Mike Kujbida January 19th, 2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Hand
This is just for the internet. How can he edit customize the settings all he sees is description and render quality.

The steps are very similar to what I just gave David Delaney in the " 38 files - how to make a single DVD arch. 3 movie?" thread.

Since this is for the internet, it's a WMV he wants.
At render time, select Windows Media Video V9 (*.wmv) in the Template box. In the Save as type box, there are several different choices. Which one he wants is up to him.
After selecting the template, click Custom and then Video. There are more settings in here that can be tweaked as desired.
I've done very little encoding for the net so I'll leave the explanations of some of the options to folks that know more than me. He could also play around for awhile and see what he likes.
If he plans to play, I'd suggest saving each new group of settings as a new template (once again, see the other thread for how-to-do-this instructions). They can always be deleted afterwards.
I hope this helps you out.