DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   in and out point in Vegas ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/84461-out-point-vegas.html)

Erik Rene Brul January 21st, 2007 03:11 PM

in and out point in Vegas ?

Hi All,

Just switched over from AVID DV Express (pro) etc versions to Vegas 7.0
I was used to have a player and recorder display in Avid, is this possible in Vegas ?
And I was used to place in the player section a inpoint (start point) and a outpoint (end point) to select the piece of video and put only this piece in the composer (recorder / timeline). Is this possible with Vegas ?

Best, Erik

Edward Troxel January 21st, 2007 09:07 PM

Vegas only has a single display screen. You really don't need two. When you're in the trimmer, it shows what you're looking at in the trimmer. When you're on the timeline, it shows what you're looking at on the timeline.

As for In/Out points - yes Vegas will do that. One way is to press "I" for the in-point and "O" for the out-point. You can also use the mouse to create a "selection area" around the area you want. So, yes, it can be done.

Bill Mecca January 22nd, 2007 08:55 AM

Erik,

I too use Avid and have been playing around with Vegas 6.0.

As Edward said if you open the clip in the trimmer, the monitor shows you that, you can play the clip and hit I and O for the in and out points (similar to Avid) then positiong your cursor on the timeline where you want to place that clip, go back to the trimmer and hit A, and it will place that clip after the cursor, (there are two icons on the bottom of the trimmer window that will do that as well. At the moment I cannot remember the alternate command for placing the clip before the cursor on the time line )

From what I can see so far, 3 point edits are similar, just slight difference in how the app works. If you have two clips on the time line and a space inbetween and want to fill that just doulbe click in the space on the time line, and it will set in and out points. In the trimmer set the in or out point on your clip, and it will then fill the hole. (very similar to how in Avid you select the in-out of a clip, put an In or Out Point on the preview clip, and control-B to over write and fill the hole.

I hope that makes sense to you. I am feeling my way around in Vegas but figured that out. You just have to "think differently" not much, just a bit.

What I would like to do and cant seem to be able to, is split a stereo audio track into two mono tracks, and point keyframes on the audio to rubberband the levels. ;)

Mike Kujbida January 22nd, 2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Mecca
What I would like to do and cant seem to be able to, is split a stereo audio track into two mono tracks, and point keyframes on the audio to rubberband the levels. ;)

Add a second copy of your audio track to the timeline, below the first one.
On audio track 1, right click - Channels - left only.
On audio track 2, right click - Channels - right only.
Insert a volume envelope (V key) and add points as desired.
Is this what you're looking for?

Bill Mecca January 22nd, 2007 09:41 AM

Mike,

that works for me! thanks.

I was just perusing the manual here at work (the program is at home). It's an old 3/4" tape of a friend's band (from the 80's what a trip!). their music is on the right channel only and there is a horrible whine on the left, but at the end, there is narration on the left, so I can't just ditch the entire left channel. And while I was messing around with it last night, I just ran out of time to find the solution.

Thanks again.

Edward Troxel January 22nd, 2007 10:12 AM

A really easy way to split a stereo track into two separate tracks is via a script. This script will automatically do that for you - just select the audio event and run the script.

Mike Kujbida January 22nd, 2007 10:38 AM

Thanks Edward. As I was posting my response, a little voice kept saying "I thingk Edward has a script for this" but I forgot to mention it :-)

Jarrod Whaley January 22nd, 2007 10:46 PM

I pretty much always use markers (press the "M" key at the desired point) for in & out points in the trimmer, then select the area between them and drag it to the timeline.

As for the audio question: to preserve the narration on the right channel, copy the original audio event and paste it onto another track. Then on the original audio event, right-click on the event, go to "channels," and select "left only." This will give you a mono track using only that one channel. On the second event, repeat the above process, but select the right channel this time. Then trim the beginning of the event to cut out the whining sound and leave the narration at the end. This way, you have each of the original channels on separate tracks, which will allow you to EQ & so on for them separately at the track level.