720p Project Render Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

720p Project Render Settings

I shot a film with the HVX200 in HD 720p 24fps native frame rate (meaning just like actual film with no pulldown).

When I render the project to mpg2 for a DVD, should I insert a 2-3 or 2-3-3-2 pulldown and how do I render a widescreen DVD? I tried using the presets of DVD Architect 24p Widescreen NTSC video, but there are two thin black lines along the vertical edges when it renders. I can do it non-widescreen just fine with the black lines on the top and bottom.

Also, I was wondering if my project settings are correct, because I've broke the project down into 7 segments and in order to create the master I have to render each individual segment then assemble, but I don't want to lose any quality in the process (I render each segment default template uncompressed). My project is set to 23.976 fps, 1280x720, progressive scan (no field order), 1.0 square pixel aspect ratio, 44100 Hz audio, 16 bit depth. What should I have deinterlace method set to?

And something weird happens when I assemble the pieces. One segment looks like it dissolves into another for the first touching frame... is this due to the frame rate not being a full 24 or is this something else? I can pull the segments apart, and they look fine, but when right next to one another, it almost looks like I'm dissolving for a second. Just curious since this isn't the case when editing in each individual segment just with the rendered segments put together.
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You can't put a 720p movie onto a standard definition DVD. The highest resolution you can have is 720x480.

I'm not sure about the other stuff though.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I know. When I'm rendering it to mpg2, it's at 720x480.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #4

There's a fundamental problem in that widescreen DV is 756x480 while HDV 720 is 1280x728. Check the aspect ratio differences between these two formats. You'll find that one will ot fit in the other, hence either vertical or horizontal masking has to happen.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
There's a fundamental problem in that widescreen DV is 756x480 while HDV 720 is 1280x728. Check the aspect ratio differences between these two formats. You'll find that one will ot fit in the other, hence either vertical or horizontal masking has to happen.
hhmmm? Widescreen DV is 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). In both those cases it concerns amorph pixels (i.e. not square). The image IS 16/9, it's just that the pixels aren't square: the image needs to be stretched to true 16/9 aspect ratio. (which explains why you have a 16x9 image, but the ratio between the number of horizontal and vertical pixels don't reflect that...)

In the case of HDV1 (1280x720): not only is the image 16x9, the pixels are square too (so here the ratio between the number of horizontal and vertical pixels is indeed 16x9)...

Anyhow, since both the HD and the SD have a true 16/9 image, NO masking is needed...

by the way: the pixel aspect ratio VEGAS uses for PAL widescreen is a bit off (I believe it uses 1,457...), resulting in the tiniest of black masking. Premiere uses 1,442 for PAL DV widescreen, resulting in no mask whatsoever. (I don't know about NTSC widescreen in vegas, never used it and never will...)

If I want to put my HD to DVD, I convert it to an MPEG2 (obviously) *.mpv, CBR 8 Mbps, PAL Widescreen, progressive (!) with seperate AC-3 audiofiles. Mind the progressive! It will prohibit line averiging and make the DVD look sharper then regular SD if the television supports progressive scanning and the DVD-player supports progressive output/reading progressive DVD video...
- For you guys it's obviously NTSC Widescreen...
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #6

werner...yeah, you're right///BUT
"listen to what I mean, not what I say"....;o)
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hmm so do you think the pixel aspect ratio Vegas uses for NTSC widescreen is a bit off, and that's why there is slight black lines?
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Never worked in NTSC and never paid any attention to that, but since it's the case in PAL, I shouldn't be surprised. You can look this op yourself:

when you select the aspect ratio for NTSC widescreen you get a number, let's say X. When you multiply 720 with X, tou should get 853,33... or very close to that number (854 or 852 or something). If you're off more (like 845 or something), you'll have slight masking.

(in pal you should get 1024)
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #9

no, the sony media engineers are quite exacting about their pixel ratios. I don't think they're wrong. I'm simply trying to claim that the frame aspect ratio differences between 720p and DV will require a small bit of masking, no matter what.
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, they are - or the engineers of premiere are wrong. But it really doesn't matter. Small ratio faults are invisible, and masking isn't visible due to the overscan of monitors...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...