Capturing to Vegas 6 with an HD-100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing to Vegas 6 with an HD-100

Hi, I have read all over, and I just cant figure out why Vegas is doing this.

I have my camera hooked up to my computer via firewire cable, and in the capture window everything seems to be working properly. If I press the capture button, and let my tape run, it will act like everything is working, but.. The problem is that only the beginning of what was on the tape is captured. Say, out of 10 minutes of footage, i only get a clip 15 seconds long.

I have tried long continuous shots, and places with several small shots, and it doesn't seem to be stopping at the breaks between shots.

Is there something I could be missing? I began with a dual core laptop, but I recently set up a new 3.2 GHZ system, with only Vegas installed, and it still stops the capture before I hit the stop button.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2

Not sure if this is the problem, but, it seems some capture software is very sensitive to TC dropouts, or discontinuities in the TC. On the JVC 100/110, the TC is intimately tied to the TC method, regen, freerun, or sync.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmmm, kind of a puzzler. Both Vegas and Connect HD have worked great capturing from my JVC GY-HD100 - both with 24p and with 30p. Since your problem seems to be happening on two machines it could be the camera?

I would try downloading the demo of Cineform Connect HD and see if that works. If problem persists try getting a hold of the JVC deck?

Also, make sure Vegas isn't splitting the clips on it's own (can't remember what it's called but it should be in the capture preferences)
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks to you both, I know TC is a weak point on my knowledge of video, so I have ignored it so far. This is probbably the root of my problem. I will get this resolved tonight I hope & let you know what it was.

By the way, does anyone care to explain the concept of Timecode? I WHAT it is, but I'm jusy not able to wrap my mind around "linking" TC, etc..
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #5

Justin...
Time Code(TC) is a very flexible thing. There's midi time code(MTC), linear time code(LTC), and wordclock. Wordclock is just a sync pulse with no reference to actual wall-clock time, or even start time. MTC and LTC are a sync pulse plus a reference time that lets you get back to wallclock time. Pro cameras generally allow the user to select the LTC accounting method as follows
regenerate: when you stop/start recording, the camera picks up the TC from where it left off
freerun: the camera restarts the timeclock at 00:00:00 every time you start/stop
sync: it syncs the timecode to either an external time or some other ref like user bit.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...