Dreaded 1 frame cross fades converting to 24p!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dreaded 1 frame cross fades converting to 24p!!

THis has been talked about recently, but can someone please inform me how to render out a 29.97fps project to 24p without getting those dreaded single frames cross fades at the cuts on the final project.

I've read that this may happen, but is there a way to correct this?

The only way I THINK that this may be accomplished, I havent done it yet, but is to render each indivdual 29.97 clip out to 24p and then edit them in a new 24p project. Am I thinking right here? If so, I think I may just have to break down and get that new 24p capable cam!!!

Last edited by Jim Justice; January 25th, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
Jim Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

You are correct. This is one of the reason's we created VASST Celluloid. It converts all of your 60i footage to 24p and then changes your project to 24p so that all of your editing is done in 24p and all of your cuts and crossfades stay exactly where you put them. This should be done as the very first thing before you start editing.

~jr
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Jubal 28

Definitely. If 24p output is what you want, get into 24p as early as you can.

Ideally, that means shooting 24p. But if you don't have a 24p camera, always convert before you edit.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Will DVArchitect reintroduce new one frame crossfades when it converts it to 23fps 2-3 pulldown? It doesn't seem to want to make a DVD in 24p.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Measel View Post
Will DVArchitect reintroduce new one frame crossfades when it converts it to 23fps 2-3 pulldown? It doesn't seem to want to make a DVD in 24p.
The idea is to work on a 24p timeline and render to MPEG2 in 24p and then DVD Architect will do nothing. It just creates a DVD from your "already compliant" MPEG2 files and does not touch the contents.

~jr
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmm. Anytime a burn a disc with an mpg2 24p project DVDA recompresses it. But I'm using 3.0. Is that a change in version 4?
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dan, I'm not on the 24p bandwagon, but...

Have you confirmed that your MPEG2 renders are below about 3.8GB total? DVDA rerender is common (and looks terrible) when the original render out of Vegas doesn't fit on the DVD.

Volume 1 #7 of Edward Troxel's newsletters goes into Vegas render settings and bitrates in detail, jetdv.com.

Perhaps you're already all over this, but this DVDA behaviour is normal under some circumstances... and the answer would then be to rerender in Vegas at lower bitrates.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #8

If you're using the 24p preset, and not the 23.97 preset, then DVDA will recompress everything, as 24p itself, is not for DVD output
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Tell me something please about the 24 conversion thing. If I take ordinary footage that was shot at 60fps as virtually all my footage is and edit and render to 24p, what is the general difference in appearance? I know it would be hard to describe, I'm asking conversationally, for a general idea.

I read DSE's article on it months ago as I recall ideally it should be shot with cinematic style in mind, ie., shoot using depth of field etc., etc., but my footage is generally captured run and gun style. I know you cannot turn digital video shot in ordinary fashion and make it appear "like a real movie".

I could try it and probably will, but thought I'd investigate first as I don't have time to play with it yet.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks DSE, that clears that up for me. I wish I could get rid of that one frame crossfade, although it is only in a few spots.

JH - Personally for the feature film I'm shooting I converted it, largely because it is mixed with animations done at 24fps. It's difficult to explain the appearance. You should try what I did. I used the same video and rendered it @ 29 fps and 24p and watched them side by side to see which I liked best for what I was doing and to see the difference. All in all it is one of a bunch of different tricks you can combine to get more of a film look. I will say I don't like it as well for my high action shots as I do for the shots with less movement.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks for the feedback Dan. It sounds interesting. I'm coming up on some relatively slow periods soon and intend to do what you suggest. I will keep in mind that the slower motion footage might be most suitable.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #12

What's important to understand is that a project frame rate of "24.000 (Film)" is only to be used when you are working with real film transfers. Otherwise what most of us loosely call "24p" is really a project frame rate of "23.976 (IVTC Film)" which DVD Architect should not re-encode.

~jr
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

That was what was confusing me. Perhaps a solution to the one frame crossfade would be for me to import my 24p (which are animations so truly 24p) on a 23.976 timeline instead of 24. Anyone tried this?
Dan Measel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...