Event Pan/Crop Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Event Pan/Crop Problem

I am using two png images together. The top one is transparent in 80% of the area.

The bottom is a large 5 MP (22xx X ????) image. I am using Event Pan/Crop to pan across and up and down this image to simulate motion.

The problem is that just before the first key frame, and just before the last key frame, the motion slows down. So horizontal travel slows to a crawl.

I have done everything I know to prevent this. I don't seem to be able to find a work-a-round.

Suggestions?
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Set all the keyframe smoothness values to 0 (default was 1 until Vegas 7 came along) and see if that helps.
For future use, if you set the first one to 0, the rest will follow this setting.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

??? try... right click on key frames to see if they are set to slow/fast/linear/smooth
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Redman
I am using two png images together. The top one is transparent in 80% of the area.

The bottom is a large 5 MP (22xx X ????) image. I am using Event Pan/Crop to pan across and up and down this image to simulate motion.

The problem is that just before the first key frame, and just before the last key frame, the motion slows down. So horizontal travel slows to a crawl.

I have done everything I know to prevent this. I don't seem to be able to find a work-a-round.

Suggestions?
First of all, id drop the resolution of the pics down to about 3mp and no more.. .fact remains that the more scaling thats required, the longer your render will be and it wil be virtually indistinguishable considering your output res.

as for teh keyframes, as mentioned, mess with the interpolation values
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Trustee

depending on crop level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
First of all, id drop the resolution of the pics down to about 3mp and no more.. .fact remains that the more scaling thats required, the longer your render will be and it wil be virtually indistinguishable considering your output res.

as for teh keyframes, as mentioned, mess with the interpolation values
I just did a video with mostly pictures at 4000x???? resolution, but I was zooming in to around only 2000px wide. Still lots of scaling there (renders did take a long time). But if the poster is using a pan / crop to zoom waaaay in (near 1000pixel) then there shouldn't be too many pan / crop problems.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm using Vegas 6. I just got Vegas 7 and will install it after I leave DVi.

I've checked and the keyframe smoothness is set to 1 and all of the keyframes are set to linear.

I will play with the keyframe settings and then I'll see if 7 shows the same problem.

This particular video is only about 22 seconds so the rendering of the large images is not a particular problem.

Thanks for the information and suggestions. If you have any other thoughts, I'm open.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

In Vegas 6 and earlier, the "smoothness" setting defaulted to 1 which caused the "ease in/ease out" symptom you are describing. Changing that to 0 as recommended would fix that issue.

In Vegas 7, YOU can now determine the default setting and the factory default is now 0.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Holy crap it is about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
In Vegas 6 and earlier, the "smoothness" setting defaulted to 1 which caused the "ease in/ease out" symptom you are describing. Changing that to 0 as recommended would fix that issue.

In Vegas 7, YOU can now determine the default setting and the factory default is now 0.
I might have to upgrade to 7 just for that maddening fix. I HATE the smoothness filter. That always seems to make my keyframes move in odd, non-linear patterns that take a Ken burns Zoom beyond the border of a picture into "black lines" that look horrible. But what is worse, is that I didnt' tell it to do that AND I have to tell it not to do that for every single picture!

BUT.... I played with a trial of 7 and have not found a reason to go with an upgrade OTHER than HDV scene detection. Everything else seems to be the same. Videoguys has a bundle with Cinescore and that is the only thing that is really tempting me.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM   #9

Other significant benefits of Vegas 7 are tools such as the volume drawing ability, much faster rendering, import of DVD, much better management of MPEG on the timeline.
If you're into HD, of course there are a lot of features, but if HD isn't your bag, the above (among more features) are nice reasons to upgrade.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Jason, if you forget to set the smoothness value to 0 at the very beginning, then grab John Rofrano's Unsmooth Keyframes script and life will be good again :-)
Not sure about that last part but the script is a definite timesaver.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...