DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rookie Question: Exporting HDV in Vegas. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/86659-rookie-question-exporting-hdv-vegas.html)

Daniel Wiedemann February 16th, 2007 07:16 AM

Rookie Question: Exporting HDV in Vegas.

Hi..

I'm totally new to video editing so sorry for the stupid questions.
Ok.. I got a Canon HV10 and I'm using Vegas 7, on Windows XP to capture the clips.

Now, when I try to render it, I either get a 1mb file or a 1.5gb file. I tried playing around with the various codecs but none seemed to work.

I use 3D Studio Max and when I export a 1920x1080px, 20 seconds clip, it is usually around 60-100mbs.. That is using the "Cinepak Codec by CTi".

When I try using that codec on Vegas, I get an error message and sometimes it just closes Vegas.

What codecs or options do you guys use. And please use simple, normal, non-video-editor language so I can understand! :)

Thanks a lot!

Edward Troxel February 16th, 2007 09:05 AM

The first question: What are you wanting to do with this render? What's the purpose? Different purposes require different things.

Daniel Wiedemann February 16th, 2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
The first question: What are you wanting to do with this render? What's the purpose? Different purposes require different things.

I'm using this for a stockphotography (and video) website (www.istockphoto.com)

I bought this camera for it's high quality and resolution.

I need to upload the .mov compressed with Motion Jpeg (or something like that). What I did in 3D max was export the .avi with Cinepak and convert it using MPEG_Streamclip (they recommended it in the website) and they've all been accepted.

So.. the purpose, uploading it on a website (Well.. I upload a .mp4 proxy and send the .mov file to them on a DVD, after the proxy has been approved).

PS:
I managed to use Cinepak for it now but the quality is weird. It's all "lined". Anyone knows what is going on, or what codec i should use?

Steven Bills February 16th, 2007 03:29 PM

Interlacing

The "lined" thing that you're referring to is called interlacing. Just check the deinterlace box in the render dialogue.

SB

Daniel Wiedemann February 17th, 2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Bills
The "lined" thing that you're referring to is called interlacing. Just check the deinterlace box in the render dialogue.

SB

Could tell me again where I can find that?

I found and unchecked an "interleave" option but still get the lines, not as much, but still "lined".

For example, what codec do you guys use and where can I find/download it?!

Thanks,
Daniel W.

Steven Bills February 17th, 2007 02:33 PM

For rendering, just use the HDV 720-30p intermediate (AVI) ---> IF you're going to be applying effects in another application, like After Effects.

OR

Select WMV, and use the template: 6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video ---> Finished movie.

Ok, so in the Video Tab in the render dialogue, there is a dropdown box that next to Field Order. Click on the box, and then select None (progressive scan)

That should do it for you. If not, ask more questions.

SB

Daniel Wiedemann February 17th, 2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Bills
For rendering, just use the HDV 720-30p intermediate (AVI) ---> IF you're going to be applying effects in another application, like After Effects.

OR

Select WMV, and use the template: 6 Mbps HD 720-30p Video ---> Finished movie.

Ok, so in the Video Tab in the render dialogue, there is a dropdown box that next to Field Order. Click on the box, and then select None (progressive scan)

That should do it for you. If not, ask more questions.

SB

Hey Steven...

Ok.. since I'm not going to use After Effects or anything I went for the second option. But there is no "Field Order" in the Video Tab. Do you mean when you click on "Custom"? (that's where I looked).

Anyway. The "lines" are gone, thanks for that. But it's a rather small file (about 2-3mbs for a 3sec clip). (Oh.. and I changed the size to "keep original size").

How would the quality of this video be? Why is the .mov so big, the .avi a reasanable size and the .wmv so small?

In the end, I'll need the best quality .mov with Photo JPEG Motion something or other codec (do you know what I'm talking about)??? :S

Can I use the MPEG_Streamclip to convert from the .wmv to .mov and have the amazing quality?

Damn... Video editing is complicated!!

Thanks...