Best Method to Fix Dirty Lens Shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Method to Fix Dirty Lens Shot

One shot was done through a dirty lens. I've tried using a mask, selecting just the bad areas, and using smart smoother along with a very light linear blur. It helps somewhat. Makes the offending areas not so bad.

But does anyone know of another method to deal with this? Any special filters for this or any tips?
Will Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Wrangler

Another similar trick if you have area to work with around the offending spot that is the same, is to duplicate the video track and use a mask in the same area as the offending spot. Shift the position of the original track by a slight amount so that hopefully what comes through the mask is identical to the blemish area. You might have to keyframe the mask at some places.

Essentially, you're trying to clone a non blemished area that's the same as the blemished area in content and keep that under the mask throughout the track.

Hope that makes sense.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's a good idea too. Thanks.

Here's another related question. Say I make a mask, keyframe it to insanity, but then I decide I want to change the zoom on the original shot. Doing so messes up the mask, and I can't find a way to change the zoom of the mask. Is there a way to do such a thing or do I have to start all over with my keyframes (I've just been starting over, but it's time intensive)?
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Do it in After Effects and pre-comp the layer.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hanlon
Is there a way to do such a thing or do I have to start all over with my keyframes (I've just been starting over, but it's time intensive)?
Two ways come to mind:

#1 - Make BOTH tracks Children of a Parent Track and manipulate ZOOM-in/out using Parent Motion to the Parent Track.

#2 - Render out your final and ZOOM away there.

Parent Motion is a fabulous feature of Vegas. There is so much more you can do with it.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What do you mean pre-comp the layer?

Thanks for the help.
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, if you've got After Effects, and you've never used pre-compose, get ready for a revelation. Basically, this feature will allow you to do what you want - create a mask, apply whatever filters/effects you want to a given layer, do anything else you want to that layer, then when you pre-compose it (and any other simultaneously selected layers), they end up in a new composition, nested in the parent composition you've already been working in. Then, you can scale the pre-composed composition (rather than the layers within it).
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...