'Cancel Render' button at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Inner Circle

'Cancel Render' button

So which genius decided to put the 'Cancel' button right in the same spot where the Windows Start button goes?

There's me doing fifteen things at once, while I'm half way through a four hour render, decided I needed to check something in a browser, went to click the Start button, didn't notice that the task bar hadn't popped up and clicked Cancel instead.

Sigh . . .

PLEASE someone tell me I'm not the first person to do that and that the Cancel button is in a dumb location?! Also, how about a second chance with an "Are you sure?" message? They appear everywhere else, why not here?!

And one thing I miss from earlier versions . . . if you cancelled half way through a render it would still leave a file containing the portion rendered thus far - great for checking the quality of the render, even if it was then discarded. I personally found that really useful and on this occasion it would have meant I could simply have rendered the second half of the project and 'stitched' the two halves together.

Rant over. Still love Vegas.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No Ian, you're not alone !

I've done it quite a few times.... a particular speciality of mine is to catch the keyboard with something, quickly followed by a lot of swearing.

If there's anywhere an 'Are you sure?' is required...it's definately here!
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Jubal 28

It will still leave a partial file depending on what format you rendered as.

As far as I know, the types of formats to which this applies has stayed consistent throughout every version of Vegas -- though I haven't had cause to test it lately.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Also, how about a second chance with an "Are you sure?" message? They appear everywhere else, why not here?!
Been asked for B4 now.

As to your ranting - huh! That was nufink!! In any event it is because you are so passionate about improvements that it is obvious you love it.

We discuss improvements, not hanging or crashing or not being able to MIX formats within the same project NOR the speed with which you can get AT a story through editing within Vegas.

Other NLE have quite a bit angst with crashes and complex GUIs. So I hear . . but not us - eh?

Vegas ROX! We talk about tweaking and fun stuff.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Well said Grazie! I wasn't cross, I was charged with a passion for betterment.

And David, you are qute right. At least avi leaves a partial file (the format I was using yesterday when my woes began). I'm sure there's some logic behind which formats do and which don't leave a file. I'm convinced that there are more occasions now when no file is retained, but I may be imagining that.

Carl, we can feel sheepish together!

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
It will still leave a partial file depending on what format you rendered as.

As far as I know, the types of formats to which this applies has stayed consistent throughout every version of Vegas -- though I haven't had cause to test it lately.
Vegas DOESN'T leave any partial except .WMV!!! All other format files (.avi, .mpg, .mov, etc.) disappear totally if you cancel Vegas rendering. That's really stupid because how can I see what is the result of my film? So, iI need to wait 10-20 hours to complete rendering, and then to see that I need to process something more or less on my footage, so I need to start again all the rendering?!? Really stupid! For example, in AE you can PAUSE rendering, or even if you stop it, then you can watch the video file normally up to the frame you stopped rendering.
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Old Boot

Yes, quite . . .however . .

I DON'T render straight to an MPEG. Nearly 99.9% of my output goes to an AVI first. This does 2 things:

#1 - I have a check-off pre-final. This is real good for ensuring I've got Colour Correction, Audio is in narrative sensibility with the moving pictures and I can generally do any final tweaks and corrections that I've missed. Obviously this isn't pertinent to those who produce perfectly good finals from the Timeline.

#2 - Rendering to MPEG from an AVI for me is something a shade faster than real time, if not real time.

So, pre-MPEG render to AVI, that's me. And until we have our wishes granted by the pixies at Madison, for a pause button on the rendering window, this is how I will continue. And guess what? I will most likely continue to be going the completed AVI even then. I need to see the finished article, before MPEG-ing.
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Plamen,

There must be circumstances under which a partial file is left when rendering to OTHER than wmv, eg avi. I know this to be the case because I recovered from my big screw-up the other day by using a partial file that was left (albeit unknown to me at first) when rendering a long avi.

Do any of the gurus here know the 'rules' for when a partial files is or isn't left?

Also, Plamen, could you maybe just render short portions of your project for checking purposes, eg from different parts of the timeline where there are significantly different colours, effects etc?

Like Grazie, I always render uncompressed first, and I make a number of test renders from various parts of the project to make sure all is as I want it to be. These are usually five to ten seconds in length and I will cover things like transitions (eg to check length of crossfade etc), colour consistency from one shot to another, specific areas of audio (eg where I am concerned about peaking) and so on. A partial file would only help me look at areas up to the point where the file stopped rendering.

I can't check at the moment because I am, in fact, rendering something, but am I right in understanding that you can pause AE in mid-render and then go outside of AE (ie to Explorer) and watch the file up to that point? Didn't know that - that might be useful.

Ian . . .
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hmmm . . . sorry to question you again Plamen, but I just tried rendering a wmv file, interrupted it after about 20% (approx 20 minutes) and guess what - it did NOT leave a partial file!

I wonder if the rules are related to the %age completed rather than just to format?
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #10
New Boot

To get back to Ians original comment, there are a few programs that I use with similar "situations". I've spent 2 hours inputing to a database and had a similar thing wipe out my progress. Last week I had my Palm erase all my emails because I left it in my pocket and random buttons got touched. I remember the old CD burners, where if you forgot you were burning a disc and did anything, like open a program or use a word processor while burning a CD (which took an hour) you would wreck a disc ($10 each at the time). Now when that stuff happens, I just laugh. I'm getting older, cursing is bad for the heart.

For the record, I'm fairly new to Vegas and serious editing. Vegas does rock.
David Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #11
Regular Crew

If I remenber right - in Vegas 6 when I rendered to .avi and cancelled the render there was always a usesable file left. Especially on long renders I used this feature quite often. When I wanted to shut the PC down I just cancelled the render, but nothing was lost. In Vegas 7 nothing is left after a cancel. I miss this feature.

Greeting Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #12
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Firnges
If I remenber right . .
Residual file after 50% render to AVI and CANCEL

Vegas 6 = YES

Vegas 7 = NO

Just checked it out.

G
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Grazie, 'checked it out' by doing it or 'checked it out' by asking elsewhere?

Reason for asking is that there is some question in my mind as to whether this is correct all of the time - this weekend, using Vegas 7.0c, I cancelled an avi render that was more than 50% completed and it DID leave a usable partial file.

In addition, this morning I cancelled a wmv render both less than and more than 50% complete. Both times no partial file was left. I also cancelled an avi render that was about 15% complete and it, too, did NOT leave a file.

There MUST be some reasoning to this!
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #14
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Grazie, 'checked it out' by doing it or 'checked it out' by asking elsewhere?
I/me/personally/Grazie opened Vegas 6.0d Build 210 and Vegas 7d Build 192 and did the testing.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Curioser and curioser!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...