Avid captured video in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 27th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1
New Boot

Avid captured video in Vegas

Hey everyone,
Quick question; can video captured in Avid be brought into Vegas? Would I have to download a specific codec do to this? Long story short, I've got video on beta tape that I need to bring into Vegas, but right now am unable to capture to the laptop that has Vegas installed on it. My best option is to capture the video using another department's Avid, and then copy it to my laptop. Never having done it this way, however, I am unsure if Vegas will be able to use the Avid-captured video. Can anyone help?
Dan Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

No. Avid uses a QT based file format with an OMFI wrapper. You cannot import these into Vegas and use them raw.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
New Boot

Is there any way around this?
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Major Player

You might check out Focus Enhancements File Converter Pro.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Major Player

you can capture in Avid and export from there as an avi, and use the resulting file in Vegas. Use whatever codec you prefer and have available on that system. alternately, since one of my older systems is funky with exporting QT's (half the audio at half speed from Avid) I export as a QT reference file, open in After effects and export from there using a variety of codecs.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Bill,
that's kind of what I figured I was going to have to do. I was hoping I could get around the exporting step, but knew that might not happen. My first thought is to export the video as an uncompressed avi, as I'm more worried about quality than filesize. However, time could become an issue. Are there export settings that would be quicker, yet still give me a decent quality?
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

depends on the how they export/capture the clips in of Avid ...

i use beta SP & digibeta captured clips from Avid in Vegas ...
from Avid export using avids 8 bit meridian codec ( free download at avid) which is QT - just drop in Vegas TL ( after you install avids free codec's) ...

the 10 bit avid codec ( mfx wrapper) does NOT work in Vegas
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Trustee

3 computer license?

Doesn't vegas have a 3 computer license? Why not install your Vegas on that system (if possible ..... OS limitations might keep that from happening) capture and then transfer via network back to the master system.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Doesn't vegas have a 3 computer license?
Nope. And here's the official Sony response:

Our licensing agreement permits you to install the software on as many machines as you own, as long as you are not running the programs at the same time. For instance, you can install the software on your home machine and on your laptop. You are not allowed to install the software on multiple machines if you are going to be using them simultaneously, such as in a home studio setting. If you are going to run the software concurrently on more than one machine, you would need to purchase a separate license for each computer.
Note that when you install the software on a different computer you will need to complete the registration process again. Register the software as you did the first time to unlock the program on each machine.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Trustee

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Nope. And here's the official Sony response:

Our licensing agreement permits you to install the software on as many machines as you own, as long as you are not running the programs at the same time. For instance, you can install the software on your home machine and on your laptop. You are not allowed to install the software on multiple machines if you are going to be using them simultaneously, such as in a home studio setting. If you are going to run the software concurrently on more than one machine, you would need to purchase a separate license for each computer.
Note that when you install the software on a different computer you will need to complete the registration process again. Register the software as you did the first time to unlock the program on each machine.
That license should still allow you to capture on the computer with the camera. Then transfer that file to the other computer using a LAN and then edit on the other computer. Vegas is NOT being used concurrently on the two machines so that should satisfy their license.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...