Where do I find the option to render an HDV 1080-50i file with .m2t extension? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 27th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where do I find the option to render an HDV 1080-50i file with .m2t extension?

I've been using Vegas 6.0d and just upgraded to version 7.0d (build 192) and have a m2t project on the timelime.

I'd like to add graphics then render out as m2t file for archiving, then encode to mpg2 for final delivery to DVD.

I thought I'd find the CineForm HDV codec m2t option within the render as drop-down window.

I was hoping my workflow would be m2t to m2t (for archiving) to mpg2 (for delivery)

Am I going about this the right way?

I thought the CineForm HDV m2t codec was part of Vegas 6 & Vegas 7?

Do I need to buy Connect HD to allow me to archive my project as a m2t file?

Can anyone please clarify this?

TIA
Neil

Last edited by Neil McLean; February 27th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want to output to M2T, use the MainConcept MPEG template. Cineform is available in the Video for Windows (.AVI) template.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Neil,

The way I was/am intending doing it is to print back to tape as HD which will act as an archive, then render to MPEG 2 for putput.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for your response.

Previously, when I rendered straight from (DV) avi to mpg2, this didn't yield well as I add powerful graphical overlays to the timeline. With this in mind, my DV workflow after editing was to render out to avi, then encode to mpg2 for DVD delivery.

I've just finished editing a proportion of my first event filmed in 1440 x 1080i and was seeking some guidance to which way to go now considering the graphical overlays added to the timeline.

I've rendered this project out to avi using the HDV 1080-50i intermediate template and this has given me an 88Gb avi (audio: 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM uncompressed, Video: 25 fps, 1440x1080, Upper field first. Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.333, using CineForm HDV codec. OpenDML compatible).

The project is one hour forty five minutes long and has no colour correction or anything else fancy added other than the graphical overlays and simple fade in/fade outs.

How the hell do I go about encoding 88Gb of avi to mpg2 for delivery onto a single layer DVD?

TIA
Neil
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

You need to use a bitrate calculator to determine what bitrate will fit your 1 hour 45 minutes of video onto a single sided DVD. Using the calculator, I get a constant bitrate of 5579 Kbps considering using 224 Kbps audio. I don't believe this takes into account any space needed for menus, etc. So, to be safe, say 5300 Kbps.

So, you would bring that Cineform video to the timeline and render it out using the PAL Widescreen DVDA MPEG2 template. Set the bitrate for 5300 Kbps and render to MPEG2. You will have to render the audio separately to AC3.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That's for that Guy.

I assume you mean for me to put my rendered avi onto the timeline and work from there?

Neil
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, that's correct.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...