DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Audio problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/88325-audio-problem.html)

Philippe Dionne March 6th, 2007 05:32 PM

Audio problem

Hi, I'm shooting HD with a V1U and the supplied mic. I use the XLR input of channel 1 when shooting. Then I downconvert evertything and capture it in DV with Vegas 7.0d.

When puting my clips in the timeline and hitting preview, I have to put "balance" triger to 50% right to hear corectly the sound I recorded.

Now, is it a setting in the camera or in Vegas that's doing this ? I'd like some fast help because an important interview is coming and I fear of being lost in all these sound settings.

Thanks !

Don Bloom March 6th, 2007 06:01 PM

If I understand you correctly you're saying that 1 channel is lower than the other?

If that's the case I can say with ALMOST 100% certainty that it is not Vegas but the audio settings of the camera.

I'm not all that familiar with the V1 but use Sonys almost exclusively so I will ask the following questions with no intent to insult nor embarress anyone.

1) were you using manual control OR AGC.
2) how were the controls set-IE-SEPERATE-or -LINKED
3) if in manual mode were you watching the levels on the meters
4) did you possibly have MIC ATT turned on-that will lower the sound by 20db
5) were you monitoring with headphones (an absolute must to get and maintain good audio)

I have ALL of my cameras set in the following manner

Channel 1 IF I'm using a shotgun (not wireless) AGC ON
Channel 2 AGC OFF and manually adjust the level
Now the meters are showing in the VF or on the LCD
I then adjust the Channel 2 level as needed generally but not always about set to about the mid line of the meter and slight adjustments from there depending on the audio.
HEADPHONES
Thats if the single mic is going to both channels
It's a bit of a different setup for running a wireless.
Check the camera settings-cause I doubt it's Vegas-I've never had Vegas kill a channel of audio or any audio for that matter
HTHs
Don

Seth Bloombaum March 6th, 2007 09:32 PM

On the other hand...

If your recording is full volume on Ch. 1 and low on Ch. 2, with one mic feeding both, or nothing on Ch. 2...

then...

Right click on your audio clip and pull down to "channels", select "left only".

If you have multiple clips you can select them all (using the selection cursor) and change them all at once, or, copy the first clip and right click on others and pull down to "paste attributes".

Then you'll have a mono track, and with the pan slider in the center you'll have equal volume in both channels.

FYI, this is also how you'd create a mono mix from two channels of recording - duplicate your track, select left-only on one track and right-only on the other, and you're mixing two mics to mono... or, at this point you could pan them slightly to match the scene.

Philippe Dionne March 8th, 2007 02:34 PM

Ok, here are the settings I have on the front of the cam :

REC CH select : CH1+CH2 or CH1, I have CH1 selected.

For CH1 : Auto or Man, I have selected Auto
+48V ON or OFF, I have selected ON

Then in menu->AUDIO SET :
MIC NR: ON or OFF, I have selected ON
XLR SET:AU. MAN GAIN Separate or Linked, I have Separate
INPUT1 LEVEL Mic or Line, I have Mic
INPUT1 TRIM 0db or -8db or -16db, I have 0db
INPUT1 WIND, On or Off, I have Off

I use the supplied mic with the V1U, wich is not wireless.

Well, these are the settings I film with, is there anything I should change ?

ps: I didn't knew it was better to use headphones, I'll try it next time.

Thanks !

Don Bloom March 8th, 2007 03:30 PM

If you are only using the on cam mic then I suggest using both channels set channel 1 to AUTO and channel 2 to MANUAL so you can then adjust the levels on the fly.
Other than that if you are only using one channel then as Seth said in post highlight the audio clip only right click scroll down to CHANNELS and select the channel with the audio-it'll be mono but then you can adjust it the way you want it and the copy the track and lay it in below the first audio track set one to pan left and the other to pan right and now you'd have quasi stereo OR just leave it a single track and run a mono track - up to you.

Don

Philippe Dionne March 8th, 2007 04:15 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll try it.