DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 5 to 7.0d--questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/88393-vegas-5-7-0d-questions.html)

Scott Brickert March 7th, 2007 10:42 AM

Vegas 5 to 7.0d--questions

Here are a couple annoyances I haven't figured out:

New audio tracks open with three effects applied and selected. How can I disable this or change it to so new audio tracks open with zero effects?

Why doesn't V7 open with the external monitor button selected like V5 did?

Sometimes events turn pink. What does this signify?

Biggest annoyance: occasional long delay before playback starts. It just sits there, the playback rate is set to 1.0, nothing happens for 40-70 sec, then suddenly it starts playing. Never had this in 5.0. This happens with DV footage dropped onto the timeline with no effects or Pan/Crop applied, or with several effects and P/C applied. And usually it goes away for awhile.

Settings:Preview Device menu set to OHCI compliant (PYRO out to a TV), Conform output--NTSC DV--Only when project does not match,,sync offset=4, Recompress edited frames is selected.
Quality is set to Draft (Full) or Preview(Full).

System: Intel 3.0GHz HT on Asus PAP800SE, 2G ram, multiple internal and external (USB2.0) 7200 rpm drives, XP Home with SP2. External monitor=PCI Firewire to Pyro to TV.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Scott

Edward Troxel March 7th, 2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Brickert
New audio tracks open with three effects applied and selected. How can I disable this or change it to so new audio tracks open with zero effects?

Well... the effects that are there are "off" so you are getting zero effects. However, if you insist on them being gone, open the Effects box, delete them, and then right-click on the track header and tell it to save that as the default.

Quote:

Sometimes events turn pink. What does this signify?

Pink events mean they're "out of sync"

Quote:

Biggest annoyance: occasional long delay before playback starts. It just sits there, the playback rate is set to 1.0, nothing happens for 40-70 sec, then suddenly it starts playing. Never had this in 5.0. This happens with DV footage dropped onto the timeline with no effects or Pan/Crop applied, or with several effects and P/C applied. And usually it goes away for awhile.

Settings:Preview Device menu set to OHCI compliant (PYRO out to a TV), Conform output--NTSC DV--Only when project does not match,,sync offset=4, Recompress edited frames is selected.
Quality is set to Draft (Full) or Preview(Full).

Never noticed that one on my system.

Jon Fairhurst March 7th, 2007 12:06 PM

Even on Vegas 5.0 I've had some occasional long startup delays. It's always after I've run other audio apps. After a re-boot, it's fine.

I'd suggest using the latest audio drivers and avoid using other apps that use the audio card.

Still, it was very unpredictable in my case. Sometimes there would be a delay. Other times not.

If you find a definitive fix, let us know...

Scott Brickert March 10th, 2007 05:29 PM

Jon,
thanks for pointing me toward the sound card. I reverted to the old onboard card and the problems disappeared. Then I updated the drivers on the M-Audio 2496, and they disappeared again. Back to normal.

PS Colonel Crush looks like alot of fun, and work.

Ian Stark May 28th, 2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 637663)
Well... the effects that are there are "off" so you are getting zero effects. However, if you insist on them being gone, open the Effects box, delete them, and then right-click on the track header and tell it to save that as the default.

Sorry to open an old thread but I am curious to know whether they are actually off or just have settings that won't affect the audio (eg zero dB threshold level on the compressor).

Put another way, are they taking up processor cycles just by being there even though they aren't actually doing anything?

Ian . . .