DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How much RAM can Vegas handle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/88410-how-much-ram-can-vegas-handle.html)

Gino Salerno March 7th, 2007 02:02 PM

How much RAM can Vegas handle?

I posted a question yesterday that maybe did not make much sense. I talked to the people fixing and upgrading my computer so they ask me to rephrase the question:
1. Is there a 64 bit version of Vegas?
2. If Windows XP 64 bit is installed, Can we use more than 4 Gigs of RAM?
3. Can Vegas USE more than 4 Gigs of RAM?

John L. Miller March 9th, 2007 08:42 PM

Just curious, why would you need more than 4GB of ram? As far as I know, 64 bit vegas is non-existent, but the standard vegas should work on your 64 bit system just fine. I am not the chief man of knowledge here, but if you are looking to get faster video without hanging up so bad on your monitor, the Video Card upgrade is the answer. I just went through the same thing and I was looking to upgrade ram also...upgrading my video card to a 7900GTX NVIDIA by XFX 512MB fixed my problem completely. Hope this helps.

Rob Lohman March 9th, 2007 08:50 PM

As far as I know Vegas is only 32-bit so cannot use more than 4 GB by definition, unless it is large memory aware, but I haven't seen that mentioned. Under 32-bit Windows I think the max is 3 GB per application's (via the the /3GB boot.ini switch) that aren't large memory aware.

James Harring March 10th, 2007 04:50 AM

64 bit Vegas

Some have speculated Sony is touring with 64bit CPU's laptops running Vista. So I would say a Vista and probably even 64bit version is an eventuality. When, who knows.

Gino Salerno March 13th, 2007 12:06 PM

More RAM

The reason I was looking for more RAM:

My computer had a dual processor, dual core on each processor and it was designed to work 64-bit. Unfortunately I have been using it as a 32 bit instead due to the lack of programs and Windows support for 64-bit technology. I have had it for a year when the mother boards were just coming out. The computer never really work to its full potential due to among others a lack of RAM. Lately, it was acting up after it completed two sucessful movies (with massive amounts of time rendering, editing, processing etc.) started to act up (freezing, shutting off, etc.) so I took it back to the computer business that built it for me. They told me the computer was overheating due to a malfunction in the motherboard. So I am in the process of getting a new MB (under guarantee). But the dealer said he did not much about film editing/rendering other than it took a lot of processing power and the More RAM the better. He also advised to check on Vegas 6/7 and see if they can take better advantage of dual core technology under a diferent setting/ installation option. (???????????)

Floris van Eck March 15th, 2007 06:05 AM

I have the same question. I currently have 2GB of PC6400 RAM and sometimes it goes down to like 320MB working memory. So I am considering adding 1 or 2 Gigabytes under Windows XP Professional. Will I benefit from the 1 or 2 extra Gigabytes or is this idea useless.

John L. Miller March 17th, 2007 09:42 PM

I just added 2 gig memory to my Dell dimension 8400. I had 1 gig and I assumed this would help with my frame skipping. But, I changed the video card first to the 512mb 7900gtx XFX Nvidia. This improved the frame skipping by 90 percent. Then I added the 2 gig memory. I see no further improvement at all. However, I would assume during rendering, while you have multiple effects engaged, it should help. Shouldn't it help prevent the use of PHYSICAL memory on the harddrive? I would think. Hope this helps.