Making Text sharp and defined in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Making Text sharp and defined in Vegas?

I know I read it here somewhere. How do you make the title text/type sharp and defined in Vegas?
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2

Double the resolution in your Text tool. Change it from 720 x 480 to 1440 x 960
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Spot.!
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you are still around Is that in the "generated media" drop down text? I have a HDV 1440X1080 going to web 320x something. The text is set to 48
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

at the top of the generated media header (when you open up the text box) there is a space to set the size-just plug in the new numbers.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow,

What a difference this makes. Doubling the resolution in both x and y directions produces very nice looking sharp texts. Now the questions remain:

1. Can this "double resolution" be set as a default for all new clips?
2. How do I globally change the resolution on a huge number of text clips I already have on the timeline? I would NOT like to open each and every one by one...aaarghh...

This SHOULD be mentioned in then manual (that the resolution, affects the final crispiness of text - if increased above the projects resolution), or earns at least to be added to the top 20 FAQ how-to's in Vegas...

regards,

Christian
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Inner Circle

No you can't set the size as a preset-:-(
I've tried and it doesn't hold the size only the default size.

As for doing it globally again I have never been able to do it. I've tried COPY and PASTE EVENT ATTRIBUTES and it doesn't work so unless someone else has a trick to do it I have to say no it can't be done.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Trustee

no kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian de Godzinsky View Post
This SHOULD be mentioned in then manual (that the resolution, affects the final crispiness of text - if increased above the projects resolution), or earns at least to be added to the top 20 FAQ how-to's in Vegas...
I would also like to see a default change setting AND an entry in a FAQ. many times I zoom text around and it looks horrible big. Thanks for the solutions ya'll.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Help in Vegas-Sharpening the Text for titles etc...
I went to the "text drop down" in the "Media Generator". It already reads 1440 X 1080 because I am editing in a HDV timeline from the Canon A-1.
I do see that increasing the size makes the Text/Type larger. I then have to resize the point size because it expands the type outside the safe area. The edges remain jagged in the web videos the standard DVD look ok. Maybe that clairification will help.
Is there another way to make the edges sharper and more defined? Draw an outline? If so what are some good starting points? I am using the Text transparent and another one is black background with white foreground text at 48Pt.
John Huling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...