Recording Straight to Hard Drive in Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording Straight to Hard Drive in Vegas?

The other day, I had my HC1 out and was just doing some lighting testing, not actual recording. But I had it hooked up to my computer through the firewire, so I opened Vegas and hit the capture record button, and sure enough, it recorded. So I was wondering if there are any pros or cons to recording this way. I imagine it's not a good way, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I have a lot to learn about video production, cause I'm a computer animator by trade.
Sean Skube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you compared the sound and video to footage captured by the camera?

I would think that Vegas might not be able to record as fast, and might drop more frames - with no way to get them back without original tape.

There must be numerous advantages offered by projects like DV RACK to do the same thing, so something must be left out when you record it this way.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #3

Nah, you can record straight to disc with Vegas without fear. It's true that DVRack has some buffering, but not anything really worth mentioning. In fact, DVRack and similar uses greater resources than a capture app, because there is more code running, more display information, etc. There is also much more assistive feedback, however. With Vegas (or any other capture) you don't get the feedback, and therefore, less of a great experience. But the quality and ability of the two methods is effectively identical.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I did compare the footage, and it appeared to be just as good as stuff I've captured from tape. Is there a better way than just by eye to test it? Also, what about the whole 4.2.0 stuff? Or is it 4.1.1.? I've heard it's different between NTSC and PAL. I'm using an NTSC camera. Is it any different when recorded from the camera than from the tape?
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Just make sure that you've optimized your computer, so it doesn't drop frames or perform any stupid non-real-time tasks in the middle of your capture. But you will want to do this anyway, regardless of your recording technique.

This is what I use: http://videoguys.com/WinXP.html

On my previous PC the thing dropped frames during capture like hot potatoes from Lucille Ball's manic conveyor belt. After I started tweaking my video/music PCs, they haven't dropped any frames since...
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Skube View Post
I did compare the footage, and it appeared to be just as good as stuff I've captured from tape. Is there a better way than just by eye to test it? Also, what about the whole 4.2.0 stuff? Or is it 4.1.1.? I've heard it's different between NTSC and PAL. I'm using an NTSC camera. Is it any different when recorded from the camera than from the tape?
it's identical, bit for bit, to what is on tape. The difference is, tape is vulnerable to dropouts, where HDD is not.
If you're shooting NTSC DV, then the color sample on tape and on HDD is 4:1:1
If you're shooting PAL DV, then the color sample on tape and on HDD is 4:2:0
If you're shooting HDV of any flavor, the color sample on tape and on HDD is 4:2:0 (sampled differently than PAL DV)

What comes out of the Firewire port on *any* DV/HDV camcorder is a real-time clone of what's going to tape. It's also latent, just like it is on tape.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Major Player

This could be huge.

Does this provide a viable alternative to the P2 cards on the HVX200 (not that I have one)?

Brian
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #8

We're already there, well past that. The Nnovia, Sony DR60, Firestore FS4, etc all record DV and HDV straight to HDD, most are between 40 and 100GB, and about the size of four packs of cigarettes. The new Sony DR60 is micro compared to the others. The new Bella system will allow you to use an iPod if you wish.
The advantage of P2 is it's very small size, their claim of non-moving parts (which is greatly open to creative debate), and that it's built into the camcorder. The excitement that some see is that it records DVCProHD to the card, but the cards are only 4, 8, and 16GB, so recording times aren't that great, and an HDD can record the DVCProHD datarate just as well.
For me, P2 is a waste of time, particularly in light of HDD's getting smaller and faster. I was initially really excited about skydiving and BASE with an HVX; turned out to be a waste. Unfortunately, no HDD system can be used for skydiving due to air pressure, so for my current "big" project, I'm having to record to tape, capture, and spend time messing with the "old" world. On the ground, I'm loving shooting to XDCAM and DR60, and of course my older, larger, but quite reliable Firestore.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

DSE- Where do we find info on the Bella at this point, I was on their email list about a year ago.... Hadn't heard anything. Have you shot with it yet ?
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

So basically, the only pro to this method is not using up tape when just messing around, or if you're in a bind and don't have any tape, which would be an unusual scenario I would think.
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Major Player

DSE noted:

>>>>no HDD system can be used for skydiving due to air pressure, so for my current "big" project.....

Spot,

I read the article on Wild Weddings. You stayed in the plane, didn't you?

I cannot imagine having clients who might require you to JUMP!

Brian
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mitchell Warshawsky View Post
DSE noted:

>>>>no HDD system can be used for skydiving due to air pressure, so for my current "big" project.....

Spot,

I read the article on Wild Weddings. You stayed in the plane, didn't you?

I cannot imagine having clients who might require you to JUMP!

Brian
Actually, I'm a skydiving coach and videographer.
This article has some footage I shot. My aerial footage has been on a few major and several lesser networks.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...