DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can Vegas do this... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/89129-can-vegas-do.html)

Tyge Floyd March 16th, 2007 05:14 PM

Can Vegas do this...

I want to use a XL2/FS-4PRO HD setup this year while on a 4 month assignment in Africa set so that I can transfer the files (Quicktime) to a external hard drive when I fill up the DTE recorder. While this move is mainly to reduce the time spent capturing video when I get back home to the studio (Final Cut Pro setup), I'm wondering if I had Vegas installed on my laptop if I can import the Quicktime files the FS-4PRO HD records and edit them in the field for Internet delivery?

My main work flow will be FCP/Apple when I'm home but the field edits and posting of 2-5 minute WMV files would be Windows/Vegas. Does that make any sense?

So, can Vegas import this type of file?

I checked the Vegas and Focus Enhancements sites out and think it will but want to be sure before I purchase a copy of Vegas for my laptop. Thanks for you help.

Peter Jefferson March 16th, 2007 08:51 PM

"I want to use a XL2/FS-4PRO HD setup this year while on a 4 month assignment in Africa set so that I can transfer the files (Quicktime) to a external hard drive when I fill up the DTE recorder. "

((Be sure to also record to tape as backup.. jsut trust me on that.. Ive gone through 4 firestores, and the only real stable ones ive found are the ENG type FS3... others havent had an issue, but mission critical work shoudl always be backup up anyway.. ))

While this move is mainly to reduce the time spent capturing video when I get back home to the studio (Final Cut Pro setup), I'm wondering if I had Vegas installed on my laptop if I can import the Quicktime files the FS-4PRO HD records and edit them in the field for Internet delivery?

((Yes you can, so long as you have QTPro 7 installed.. test it before you leave though..
One thing to note with QT files on Vegas, is that they run like a bag of crap... yes it works, and most of teh time for straight cuts work you wont have an issue with speed (depending on lappy grunt) but as soon as u start messing with filters, u can forget it.. ))

My main work flow will be FCP/Apple when I'm home but the field edits and posting of 2-5 minute WMV files would be Windows/Vegas. Does that make any sense?
((Yes it does.. ))

So, can Vegas import this type of file?
((import straight to media pool as u woud import any other media))

I checked the Vegas and Focus Enhancements sites out and think it will but want to be sure before I purchase a copy of Vegas for my laptop. Thanks for you help.

((IMO, i think you shoudl record as straigh DV AVI... then let each application manage the files in question based upon their needs.. it might mean doing a quick wrapping in FCP, but thats still faster than capturing.. ))