24p in Vegas. . .I think I'm lost - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 30th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #16
Slash Rules!

Yeah. . .the "film" motion only matters on a TV. On my computer, video does play at what looks like 24fps when I watch it in a quicktime movie player or the vegas preview window.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Exactly. Another thing that sucks, is that unless you have a DVD burner, you can't get a good glimpse of what it's going to look like on TV unless you dump an uncompressed version(AVI) to S-VHS and watch it. It's just sad that you are losing alot of quality in doing so. DVD is the best right now. I guess you can simply watch it thru a video out right to the TV but it's still not the same because your computer video card's output still has that computer output, not DVD/VHS player look.
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

You can dump an uncompressed AVI back out to miniDV tape, then watch that on your TV via the cam's SVHS or composite output. That'll be the same/better than a DVD version. Also, you'll have a backup master of your film in case your hard drive goes bye bye.
Bruce A. Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Yea, I thought of that right after I posted. I forgot about the lossless transfer of DV in/out mode.
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:37 AM   #20
Slash Rules!

If your computer's up to snuff, it should be able to play in realtime from the timeline on your TV--provided you have a way of previewing your timeline through a TV. I tried this also. The 60i footage looks like 60i, and the 24p looks like 24p.
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:09 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

I'm still lost though. If I burn this 24p AVI file to a CD R, and then someone imports it into a 60i project. . .will it work the way it's supposed to? Would it be better to print the 24p file to a tape, and then have him import that?
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:33 PM   #22
Regular Crew

It probably depends on what software they import it to :)

I'm not really sure. Life on the bleeding edge!
Bruce A. Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:27 AM   #23
Slash Rules!

It'll be Premiere. Don't know which version.
Old May 4th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: 24p in Vegas. . .I think I'm lost

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : I'm going to be handing this off to another editor at some point. When he imports it from tape or a CD-R, will he import it as 24p or 29.97? It'll be a segment in a show, and the rest of the show is 29.97. If he moves this file into his 29.97 project, will it play correctly? Headache. . .ouch. -->>>

To answer your original quesions, Vegas 24p projects rendered to 24p AVI / DV can be treated as regular 60i DV in any other system that accepts AVI / DV.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #25
Slash Rules!

But does it look right? Will the program know to do a 2-3 pulldown when importing the footage?
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #26
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : But does it look right? Will the program know to do a 2-3 pulldown when importing the footage? -->>>

Perfectly. Vegas does the 2-3 pulldown when it renders the file. It also marks it with the special "shooting frame rate" header so that if Vegas (or another DVX100 savvy NLE) reads the file, it will extract 24p again. Any other system, including DV hardware, will see it as 60i.

///d@
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Thanks. The issue, I now realize, is irrelevant, because using the 24p template with uncompressed video makes the files huge! A 48 second file was like 1.5 Gigs!
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Why don't you use the template called "NTSC DV 24p (inserting 2-3 pulldown)" -- it will be 13G per hour of video, just like normal DV. Isn't that what you want?
///d@
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:13 AM   #29
Slash Rules!

Just tried it. Still get very noticeable blockiness in some shots. Only seems to look decent with uncompressed video.

Also, why, if the project itself is 24 fps, when I render uncompressed, does it squish the video vertically a little? It doesn't do this in a 29.97 project. Odd.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...