DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Render in PAL?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/89802-render-pal.html)

Mike Begalla March 24th, 2007 07:22 AM

Render in PAL??

I think I already know the annswer to this question but thought I ask. If I am going to send a DVD to someone in England, does it have to be in PAL format, or can they veiw in NTSC. Also, does the DVD player region affect it's playability. In the US it's region 1. If I need to render in PAL, is there anything special I should know (this is my first time doing this). Also, if there is a region conflict, what do I have to do. Thanks for your help.

Mike Kujbida March 24th, 2007 12:02 PM

Most newer DVD players in PAL land are capable of playing NTSC discs.
If you want to be safe and send them a PAL disc though, it's easy to do in Vegas.
Load your project and set the render template to PAL.
Once it's done, start up DVD Architect, set it to PAL mode and create your disc.
BTW, don't worry about regions as anything you burn is region-free.

Mike Begalla March 24th, 2007 01:29 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

Alastair Brown March 24th, 2007 03:28 PM

Out of interest, how does it work in reverse. If I send you a PAL disc, would you guys in the US be able to play it or.....should I be rendering and authoring in NTSC?

Seth Bloombaum March 24th, 2007 04:42 PM

US equipment (NTSC) will *not* play a PAL disc.

Mike Kujbida March 24th, 2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 647626)
US equipment (NTSC) will *not* play a PAL disc.

Sigh :-(
Maybe one day we'll catch up to the rest of the world and be multi-standard capable.

Ken Diewert March 26th, 2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 647500)
Most newer DVD players in PAL land are capable of playing NTSC discs.
If you want to be safe and send them a PAL disc though, it's easy to do in Vegas.
Load your project and set the render template to PAL.
Once it's done, start up DVD Architect, set it to PAL mode and create your disc.
BTW, don't worry about regions as anything you burn is region-free.

Mike,

I'm assuming that because no-one (esp. Spot or the other VAAST guys), have countered this, that what you say is true. This was news to me. That we could render NTSC footage as PAL and have it be playable. I was intending to burn some stuff for international distribution and was relying on the fact that most newer Euro units play both.

But if this is true, then I could offer a PAL version.

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 26th, 2007 03:22 PM

you're more or less better off going from PAL to NTSC if you're in SD land, and better going NTSC to PAL if you're in HD land, but this is common practice; Vegas does a great job of outputting either format starting with either format