DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pulldown Removal for HDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/89859-vegas-pulldown-removal-hdv.html)

Mike Scotchinson March 25th, 2007 03:07 AM

Vegas Pulldown Removal for HDV

I have Vegas 7d and when I drop in 24p HDV m2t files from either the Canon HV20 or Sony V1u it refuses to acknowledge that they are 24p in 60i -the clip properties report a 29.97 framerate, and since they are not AVI format, it won't allow me to manually set them for pulldown removal.

From what I read on the 7.0d update, they added support for 24p footage from the V1u. Am I missing a step here?

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 25th, 2007 09:04 AM

This would be strange. Even as I'm typing, I'm editing a 24p timeline, footage from both Canon A1 and Sony V1U. I have no experience with the Canon HV20.

Did you convert them on capture to another format? The M2t, or the CineForm converted 24p files should report that the file is 23.97 progressive. Mine does, on all systems. How did you capture the files? Using Vegas or another application?

Are you certain you shot 24p? At this point, Vegas is the only NLE that doesn't care if you shot 24p, or 24p scan mode.

Mike Scotchinson March 25th, 2007 11:51 AM

Actually, I don't own either camera, I am testing raw m2t files that were posted here on DVinfo. I was planning to buy the HV20, but wanted to make sure Vegas could handle the pulldown removal.

From what I know of the files, they were described to be 24p, recorded to HDV tape and captured. I believe footage from the HV20 was acquired with FCP5 and the V1u footage from PPro2.

Would that the the determining factor? Do you have to capture the files using the Vegas HDV utility for it to remove the pulldown? Would you, by any chance, be able to provide me with a short raw 24p m2t file that was captured in Vegas to test on my machine?

Thank you for your reply

PS I've never had a problem with A1 footage, but that's probably because it's 24p with no pulldown?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 25th, 2007 12:00 PM

I don't know what you mean "no problem wth A1 footage as it's 24 with no pulldown?" It too, is packaged in a 60i stream. Assuming you're referring to the Canon XHA1?

ain't no way the HV20 was acquired with fcp and output m2t native.
Vegas keeps the files native, ie; same as what's on the tape. some applications modify the header or file format on ingest. The files I've uploaded are all 24p in 60i stream, and pulldown is seen in Vegas, and properly removed. I can't comment about other downloads, haven't tried em'.

Mike Scotchinson March 25th, 2007 12:35 PM

Sorry, i had a brainfart, I meant to write that I think the HV20 was acquired with a firestore. *doh

Do you have a link to the the files that you've uploaded?

Yes, the XH-A1 - From what I have read and examined of A1 captures, there is absolutely no pulldown in 24F HDV (there is pulldown in SD and HDV-to-SD downconversions though). In HDV the camera outputs 23.976 right out of firewire - it's one of the main reasons no HDV deck is compatible with it. Even the clip properties within Vegas reports 23.976 with no mention of pulldown removal. Dropping the clip into AE7 and conforming a comp to the file creates a 23.976 frame rate automatically without having to interpret the clip and guess the pulldown.