External monitor preview too luminous -- NOT a calibration issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Major Player

External monitor preview too luminous -- NOT a calibration issue

Trying to preview to an external monitor in Vegas through firewire. Ok.

The problem is that the image on the external monitor (a tv) looks far too luminous (exactly as though the "luminous" slider were turned up in HSL adjust.

Now, I know what your all thinking. The TV isn't properly calibrated. Now, let me tell you why that's not it.

When I render my footage and burn it to a DVD, than watch that DVD on the same TV that I'm using for the external preview, it doesn't look anything like the preview. If it was a calibration issue, the increased luminance would be consistent -- The TV would be doing something to the picture to make it so bright, and it would be doing it whether it comes from the camera attached to my firewire, or from the DVD player. The DVD looks fine (similar to my CRT), the firewire-out looks way too luminous, like I said.

I ruled out the camera that I'm using for the analogue conversion (I hooked my XL2 to it as a test and had the same results).

Obviously, color correction has been a huge hassle lately. I adjust, render, burn to DVD, watch, adjust, rinse and repeat.

In the past I'd used the video card's S-video out for color correcting preview, but I've since upgraded to a dual monitor system and I found that switching to TV-out resets all my desktop resolutions. It's no longer worth the incredible hastle, SO, I have to figure out what's wrong with the firewire preview.

Please, someone, help!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Yo. . .

I know you said it's not a calibration problem, but what are you calibrating to?Try this. . .lay some colors bars on the timeline in Vegas, either from the a tape you shot, or Vegas' own, and calibrate it to THOSE. See if it's better.

For instance, I have a Sony NTSC production monitor. I was using a tiny consumer cam that only had RCA outputs for my A/D converter for external preview (I also have Vegas) The "B" input on the monitor has a BnC/RCA adapter on it. I noticed that I always had recalibrate the monitor when going from production (where I used a BnC cable to the "A" input on the monitor to watch the camera's signal) to editing (using the B input) and vice versa (B input was always way brighter). A techy friend pointed out that the "B" input was expecting termination, and that was causing the luminance issues.

So weird things can happen. One calibration may not be useful for different devices. Might have to redo it when monitoring from different sources.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Color Bars and How To Use 'em is an excellent tutorial on properly setting up a monitor.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Most likely you are seeing differences in the IRE setup between the DVD player and your output FireWire device.

You should "calibrate" the TV with color bars coming from the FireWire device since this is the source of your video.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Figured it out... there's a little switch on the back of my RF modulator. The ohms for composite video-in had to be switched to 75 (it was on 1k). I knew it wasn't calibration.

So, if anyone else has this problem, that was my answer.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...