DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Preview Monitor Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/89930-preview-monitor-questions.html)

Heath Vinyard March 25th, 2007 10:30 PM

Preview Monitor Questions

I have a couple questions about the external preview in Vegas 7d.

I've recently upgrade from 6d. In 6d, when the preview to an external "Windows Secondary" was selected, this would automatically happen. Now when bringing up a session, I have to instigate it through the preview button on the main preview window. Is there a way to make this stick in 7d?

Second question. I want to have a 22inch widescreen monitor for editing. This would be on a seperate pcie video card using dvi. Then 2 19inch monitors on a pci video card with dual analog out. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?

Thanks.

Jim Andrada March 25th, 2007 11:01 PM

I've seen some outfits offering 8 screen systems, and I know that there are some Nvidia card sets that talk about 4 dual link DVI outputs, so can't see why it wouldn't be possible. On the other hand, you never know until you try

Heath Vinyard March 27th, 2007 03:58 PM

Just wanted to bump this and see if maybe someone has an answer to 1 or 2. Anyone? :) I can't imagine I'm the only monitor happy one out here. :)

Steve Leverich March 27th, 2007 10:33 PM

1 - no. this was changed intentionally, forget why.

2 - haven't tried this, but as long as windows recognizes both cards and 3 displays, you should have the option (right click on desktop, select properties, then Settings, then click on each monitor's icon and check the box "extend my windows desktop to this monitor", and it might work - don't remember the limit of monitors windows can see without external drivers.

Barring that, google "triple head 2 go" - it's available for either analog or DVI monitors, allows ONE video out to run 3 monitors, comes with custom driver... Steve

Burk Webb March 30th, 2007 06:18 PM

"Second question. I want to have a 22inch widescreen monitor for editing. This would be on a seperate pcie video card using dvi. Then 2 19inch monitors on a pci video card with dual analog out. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?"

I'm doing it with 4 monitors - works great. I've got two geforce cards in two PCI Express 16 slots on my ASUS a8n SLI Premium Motherboard. Just had to install one driver and Windows sees em' all great - I can send the "preview to secondary monitor" to anyone of em'. My current monitor usage is thus:

2 19"s for the Vegas timeline
1 15" for odds and ends
1 Dell 2405 for video preview

Hope this helps -

Heath Vinyard March 31st, 2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 651690)
"Second question. I want to have a 22inch widescreen monitor for editing. This would be on a seperate pcie video card using dvi. Then 2 19inch monitors on a pci video card with dual analog out. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?"

I'm doing it with 4 monitors - works great. I've got two geforce cards in two PCI Express 16 slots on my ASUS a8n SLI Premium Motherboard. Just had to install one driver and Windows sees em' all great - I can send the "preview to secondary monitor" to anyone of em'. My current monitor usage is thus:

2 19"s for the Vegas timeline
1 15" for odds and ends
1 Dell 2405 for video preview

Hope this helps -

Burk.
This helps a whole lot. Would you mind telling me how you get Vegas to select the Dell 2405 for preview? I know there's a Windows Secondary monitor choice in Vegas, which I use for my second 19", but do you have to set the 2405 as the number 2 monitor in windows for this, or will #3 work too?

Thanks for the help.

Burk Webb April 2nd, 2007 11:20 AM

"Would you mind telling me how you get Vegas to select the Dell 2405 for preview?"

sure,
- right click in the display window and select "preview device preferences"
- in the opened tab click on identify displays - green numbers should pop up on each of your displays.
- in the display adapter pulldown menu (next to the identify displays button) just select the number that popped up on your Dell 2405.

Hope this helps. Also make sure to select (check the box) on:
"scale output to fit display"
"apply deinterlace filter"
"use color management"
"use studio rgb 16 to 235"
and select "monitor color profile" as "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"

This should give you pretty accurate gamma and color out to the Dell. Hope this helps :)

Burk