Preview Monitor Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Preview Monitor Questions

I have a couple questions about the external preview in Vegas 7d.

I've recently upgrade from 6d. In 6d, when the preview to an external "Windows Secondary" was selected, this would automatically happen. Now when bringing up a session, I have to instigate it through the preview button on the main preview window. Is there a way to make this stick in 7d?

Second question. I want to have a 22inch widescreen monitor for editing. This would be on a seperate pcie video card using dvi. Then 2 19inch monitors on a pci video card with dual analog out. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?

Thanks.
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've seen some outfits offering 8 screen systems, and I know that there are some Nvidia card sets that talk about 4 dual link DVI outputs, so can't see why it wouldn't be possible. On the other hand, you never know until you try
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Just wanted to bump this and see if maybe someone has an answer to 1 or 2. Anyone? :) I can't imagine I'm the only monitor happy one out here. :)
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

1 - no. this was changed intentionally, forget why.

2 - haven't tried this, but as long as windows recognizes both cards and 3 displays, you should have the option (right click on desktop, select properties, then Settings, then click on each monitor's icon and check the box "extend my windows desktop to this monitor", and it might work - don't remember the limit of monitors windows can see without external drivers.

Barring that, google "triple head 2 go" - it's available for either analog or DVI monitors, allows ONE video out to run 3 monitors, comes with custom driver... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Major Player

"Second question. I want to have a 22inch widescreen monitor for editing. This would be on a seperate pcie video card using dvi. Then 2 19inch monitors on a pci video card with dual analog out. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?"

I'm doing it with 4 monitors - works great. I've got two geforce cards in two PCI Express 16 slots on my ASUS a8n SLI Premium Motherboard. Just had to install one driver and Windows sees em' all great - I can send the "preview to secondary monitor" to anyone of em'. My current monitor usage is thus:

2 19"s for the Vegas timeline
1 15" for odds and ends
1 Dell 2405 for video preview

Hope this helps -
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk Webb View Post
"Second question. I want to have a 22inch widescreen monitor for editing. This would be on a seperate pcie video card using dvi. Then 2 19inch monitors on a pci video card with dual analog out. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?"

I'm doing it with 4 monitors - works great. I've got two geforce cards in two PCI Express 16 slots on my ASUS a8n SLI Premium Motherboard. Just had to install one driver and Windows sees em' all great - I can send the "preview to secondary monitor" to anyone of em'. My current monitor usage is thus:

2 19"s for the Vegas timeline
1 15" for odds and ends
1 Dell 2405 for video preview

Hope this helps -
Burk.
This helps a whole lot. Would you mind telling me how you get Vegas to select the Dell 2405 for preview? I know there's a Windows Secondary monitor choice in Vegas, which I use for my second 19", but do you have to set the 2405 as the number 2 monitor in windows for this, or will #3 work too?

Thanks for the help.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Major Player

"Would you mind telling me how you get Vegas to select the Dell 2405 for preview?"

sure,
- right click in the display window and select "preview device preferences"
- in the opened tab click on identify displays - green numbers should pop up on each of your displays.
- in the display adapter pulldown menu (next to the identify displays button) just select the number that popped up on your Dell 2405.

Hope this helps. Also make sure to select (check the box) on:
"scale output to fit display"
"apply deinterlace filter"
"use color management"
"use studio rgb 16 to 235"
and select "monitor color profile" as "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"

This should give you pretty accurate gamma and color out to the Dell. Hope this helps :)

Burk
Burk Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...