Video Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Video Capture

Here's my situation:

I've got a bunch of old 8mm tapes that contain video I want to digitize. I've also got an old analog camcorder that, by chance, somebody was throwing away. Now, the camcorder is a Canon ES20V, and it works perfectly fine. The reason it was getting thrown away was because the A/V feed wasn't working. I figured out the reason to this and fixed it: The ribbon cable that went from the red, white, and yellow slots (RCA) was detached from the other chip it was supposed to go in to.

So, I know that it works perfectly now because I am able to jack it into a TV and watch the clips on that, even record them to VHS. But of course, that's not what I want! I want to digitize it!

This is where it gets complicated: My PC is a Velocity Micro PROMAGIX E1200. It runs on Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (32 bit), has an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor , and 2030 MB of RAM. To hook my analog camcorder to my PC, I removed a ViXS PureTV card from one of my other PC's, then installed it in this one. So far, so good. The card works perfectly. When I hook the camcorder in, I can easily get either a live feed or I can view the content on my PC screen as it plays on the camcorder. This all happens within Sony Vegas 7.0a. Any other programs don't seem able to detect the video feed.

Now, the problem occurs. Whenever I try to record the video, wether a live feed or playback, the display goes blank until I hit "Stop," then I get a message saying that "No video was recorded."
What, exactly, is going on, and HOW CAN I FIX IT?!!!

PS. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give an accurate description.
John Danowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

First of all, the camera should be connected via firewire. Then you should make sure to turn off "Device Control" in the preferences.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Tourist

It's an older camera, and doesn't use firewire. Only RCA (Red, yellow, and white jacks).
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Tourist

Also, where is "Device Control" located? I can't find it.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Are you able to get your hands on an A/D box to convert your analogue signal to firewire? I'm sure this would be a much better option for you if not to just help you locate the error.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

After you open VidCap, go to Options - Preferences.

You're really going to be better off getting a convertor that will go from analog to firewire.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...