24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 13th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24p

This may have been discused already. Sorry if it has been. When a clip is used and it has 2.3.3.2 or 3.2 pulldown does vegas automatically remove the redundant frames if the the project is set to 24P. Do you need to set the frame rate of the time line to 24 as well. Thanks
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Jubal 28

You should work in a 24p project (use one of the presets; no need to change anything). Otherwise, Vegas will leave the pulldown in.

Check out this:

http://www.david-jimerson.com/Vegas24pBasics.zip
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey David:

Any changes to your primer when doing 1080 24p HDV from the Canon HV20 ?
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Jubal 28

Yeah. None of it applies. :)

Vegas can't remove the pulldown from the HV20 stream; no pulldown flags for it to work with.
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I found a 24p workflow that works fairly well for the HV20 at the below site: I haven't done too much with it myself, but I've run a few sample 24p clips through this workflow. Wonder whether there might be an easy way to script this up between Vegas and VirtualDub.

http://hv20.com/showthread.php?t=44

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
Yeah. None of it applies. :)

Vegas can't remove the pulldown from the HV20 stream; no pulldown flags for it to work with.
David - do you know if this applies to the Sony V1U files as well? I've seen people having similar issues in Vegas at least with regard to pulldown removal on their V1U files. So perhaps the "no pulldown flags" applies to 24p HDV files in general and not HV20 specifically (meaning... hopefully Vegas or some other NLE will come up with a way to do automatic pulldown removal for 24p HDV files. Wishful thinking?)
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria View Post
David - do you know if this applies to the Sony V1U files as well? I've seen people having similar issues in Vegas at least with regard to pulldown removal on their V1U files. So perhaps the "no pulldown flags" applies to 24p HDV files in general and not HV20 specifically (meaning... hopefully Vegas or some other NLE will come up with a way to do automatic pulldown removal for 24p HDV files. Wishful thinking?)
To my knowledge, it also applies to the V1U. But I assume that will change in an update or in V 8.0. Just makes sense that it would.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM   #8

Vegas 7 correctly removes pulldown from V1U-acquired footage, whether it's shot in 24p or 24A modes, recorded to tape or acquired from the DR60 HDD recorder unit.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Jubal 28

Any word on whether the HV20 will be supported in an update -- at least as an option for manual removal?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Okay. Review time for me. I shoot 24p on my HV20. It looks different and "filmic" when I look at it on my component feed to my LCD HD monitor.

I capature the same footage, and I think it looks the same when I play in on Window Media player.

So is the media player doing pull down removal ? Or am I imagining that I am seeing a filmic feel, and will it be different when I actually remove the pull down ?

I have posted some footage shot in 24p without doing any removal, and while it plays fine on my media player system, others complain that it does not come out well. I am assuming there system of video card is not handling it. Thoughts ?

Finally, if Vegas does V1U 24p, is it possible it does HV20 24p ? Are they the same file systems ?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM   #11
Jubal 28

No, no pulldown removal.

For the same reasons that movies you watch on TV don't suddenly look like video, 24p retains its aesthetic even in a 60i stream. Remember, every Hollywood movie you've ever watched on a standard TV was shot at 24 fps and had pulldown inserted in order to be shown on a 60i TV -- yet it still looks like 24 fps film.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...