Vegas on one of these units at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas on one of these units

Pen. 4 unit
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0257074

Pen. D unit
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0259096

I would install a firewire card and some more storage

SD only at this time

I will be running Vegas 4 and do an upgrade to 7 in the near future

Thanks
Vince
Vince Debart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Major Player

a better deal for a P4940 sys...

Hey Vince--I'd personally recommend going with a true dual core system (the 940 has 2 cores, but the interconnect architecture uses the FSB) like the Core2 Duo or at least the Athlon X2, but if you're sticking to the P4 platform, Tiger Direct has a great deal on a 940D one... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=M450-2310%20H
You'd get a faster cpu (3.2ghz vs 3.0, and dual core vs single), a better moboard, the same gb of ram, the same speed burner, a better PS (400watt vs 300), and, the most important difference, a 400 gig hard drive--the 160 gig in the Micro Center rig is wayyyy too small to be doing any serious vid editing. Make sure to pick up a cpu fan for the Tiger Direct rig, as it isn't included. Even with spending 50 bucks on the fan, it'd still be 100 bucks cheaper than the other rig for a much better system. You'd save even more when compared to the second system you have listed, and it's still got much better specs...Then you can take the money you saved and make the upgrade to Vegas 7...
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Vin ..Thanks for the tip.. and info.. Will the tigerdirect system come assembled or as a kit?
Never put one together before

Thanks
Vince
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

sorry looks like its a kit
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, it's a kit, Vince, but if you can assemble lego blocks and turn a screwdriver, you can put a pc together. Just take your time, discharge any static (you can wear a wrist strap if you like) and don't touch any exposed circuit board, like on the hard drive. You can do it. If you're unsure of anything, email me and I'll be glad to help you along. Once you find out how easy it is, you'll be doing all your own upgrades and builds from now on. BTW, I was assuming you have a copy of Windows XP pro hanging around. That was something I missed that the Micro Center PC gives you that you won't get in the price of the Tiger Direct deal...and if you don't have a copy, that'll add another 140 to the price...sorry I missed that.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Major Player

I have the OS ..am thinking about the kit, thanks for the help
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Good that you have the OS...just noticed that you live in Denver. I did from '77 to '80, first in Arvada and then on Osceola St. in a brick duplex. Went to the CC of Denver at Auraria for a couple of years. Miss the mountains a lot. I'm sure it's quite a different (read larger) city now, though.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Major Player

I moved here in 82 ...it has grown a lot but still has a little small town feel come see us some time ..You can help me build a computer .. And it’s always nice to meet another Vincent

Vince
Vince Debart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...