24p or 24pA - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM   #16
Major Player

I need to get this straight, if I am reading this correct, If I film at 24p I capture clips with the following properties: I am using HDV 1080 24 p (1440x1080, 23.976 fps template. frame rate 23.976 (IVTC film), edit and render maybe at HDV 1080-24p intermediate avi or which?? If I shoot at 60i the I would change the properties according, David, I have listened to your 24p tutorial and I think I gathered that when one uses Vegas and the film is shot at 24p, Vegas automatically corrects when it goes on the timeline. When using 24p should the properties be set a particular way?
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #17
Jubal 28

What camera are you shooting with?

My tutorial was for the 24p DV cameras which shoot 24p, but pulldown removal works for SOME of the HDV cameras . . . but not all. Each company uses its own flavor(s) of HDV and implements 24p (or 24F) differently. It's not all compatible with each other, so which camera you used matters.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #18
Major Player

David, its a HVR-V1, I use 24p most of the time, but have noticed on some shots where I am panning there is motion blur so I thought I probably use 60i or at least up the shutter speed. In fact the 24p is one the reasons I went from a HVR-A1 to the V1., thanks
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #19
Jubal 28

I have not actually had my hands on/worked with any unprocessed V1 footage, but according to Spot, Vegas 7 removes pulldown automatically from V1 footage.

Check the clip properties in the Media Pool. (You know, right-click, choose "Properties.") Check the Stream properties.

Your timeline template is fine, though (as long as the PAR is 1.333). As for rendering, that's a matter of your intended purpose.

As for the motion blur, there could be number of factors involved in that, including, as you say, shutter speed, but also speed of your pan, HDV compression, etc.. In general, when you shoot 24p, don't shoot like it's 60i -- move the camera slowly. The motion characteristics between the two aren't the same, so things which look fine in 60i may not in 24p.

As I said elsewhere, to mimic a film camera's shutter, use 1/48 or as close as you can get.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks thats basically what I'm attempting
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #21
Slash Rules!

I'm trying that replacement method. Seems to be working so far. . .I just hope it doesn't move some/all edits over by a frame or something.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #22
Jubal 28

There's a 10% chance that any one edit point may now be on a mix frame. But the worst anything could be off is by 1 field.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...