UK based PC vendor sought - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Ian

Oooh - thats a nice spec. But yeah - interesting graphics card! :)

The worst bit for me was getting the order of installation right. There's normally loads of room near the processor and memory area but starts getting cramped further down. Those PCI-E graphics cards are pretty big and mine gets very close to where the drives go making one bay unusable - which I found out after I fitted the drive.

Have fun.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Advice well taken! I always have about a million cable ties to hand - I use them while filming on location to keep the cables coming out of the XL2 together. I think the ones I have are a little large though, so a trip to Farnborough PC World is in order (need to get the old anti-static wristband too!).

How safe is it to mix memory from different manufacturers? I was thinking of buying another couple of gig (identical brand Corsair - v high spec but costing over £50 a gig). If mixing brands is OK then I may well do that. Who's your supplier at that price?

Lists. Why do we love lists so much?!?

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Ian,

I looked at a Labs Test in the current PC Pro where they had a bunch of quad core systems on trial.

All but two had the 8800GTX so I figured that was the way to go! All reviews suggest it's a cracker. I nearly bought two to run in SLI mode but that would have meant a rethink of mobo and PSU and was also ENTIRELY frivolous!

Tiny error in the list I put up - I haven't bought the second monitor yet! That's an extra that I had on my list but took me too far over budget. I'll put up with my existing 19" alongside the 22".

While writing this, Mark at Yoyotech took the trouble to call me to give me the tracking number. I am very impressed so far.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Blimey! I did it!

I am delighted to say that I have now built my own machine and am just populating it with my software. I can't wait to see how Vegas will perform compared to my 'old' P4 3.4GHz laptop.

It took me 6 hours - 2 to read all the manuals and get a plan together, 3 to assemble the thing and 1 hour to install Windows and all the drivers. I was astonished to find it ran perfectly first time! My only (I hope) mistake was to only connect one of the PCI Express power cables to the 8800GTX, where in fact it should have both connected.

I have bought my last pre-built PC. I am now a convert to DIY. Unless it all melts in the next couple of hours, that is . . .

My sincere thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement to build it myself. I have a real sense of achievement.

Gonna be a late night . . . .

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I did like the girlie-giggle at the CPU's flamboyant muscle. Ian - I might give DVD a miss next time and come to your door.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM   #21
Major Player

Glad to hear it all went well. How much better does that feel knowing you did it all yourself!

You didn't waste time either. I'm still putting mine together.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #22
Major Player

Ian

A doddle isn't it? That must be one hell of a graphics card to require 2 power connectors.

When you get chance can you download the VASST Dual Core render test and see if it crashes at between 21 and 24 seconds. It does on mine and another member of this forum.

Thanx

Ian
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Well I can't honestly say it was a breeze but it was a lot less daunting than I thought it would be. That feeling of satisfaction when it all boots up is wonderful. I'm now planning upgrades!

I d/l'd the VASST render test and was delighted to see that it rendered in 11 seconds, no crash. However, I am now wondering if it's the same test you did since the one I'm doing is only of a 5 second clip and isn't specifically for dual core. Damned if I can find any other test though!

This is the one I did: http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...c-a7f431ebd02d.

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #24
Major Player

Ian

No - it's this one:

http://www.vasst.com/?v=render_test_2006.htm

When you get there select NEW Render test. Just follow the instructions and render to HDV 1080i.

Cheers

Ian
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #25
Major Player

Just tried it on my new Quad Core and it crashed at 21;27
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Just tried it on my new Quad Core and it crashed at 21;27
During the motion blur section, right?
That doesn't surprise me :-(
Look at the Multi Core / Multi Processor Systems thread and you'll see the problems Ian (Briscoe) and I had with this particular test and how we resolved them.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Yep, same here. Hangs at the same point and needed vegas.exe process to be terminated.

Have any of you guys reported this to Sony yet?

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #28
Major Player

Yep - I reported it a while ago. Got some rubbish about it being a 64 bit processor and that Vegas wasn't designed to work on such a processor. I actually think it's a 32 bit processor with an enhancment to access more memory in 64 bit operating systems, er which is the same architecture as the Core 2 Duo. I pointed this out along with the fact that he default number of render threads in Vegas is 4! I was told "good point" and asked to sent to "Product Suggestion" department - which I've done.

It WILL render if you reduce numbr of threads to 1, maybe 2 but that defeats the point of having a quad core system.

It will also render fine using all 4 threads to standard DVDA mpeg.

Ian
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Interestingly - and worryingly - mine has just hung while rendering the same test as uncompressed avi but I think it hung in a different place (much earlier - the %age complete indicator was at 35% whereas in the original test it got to 71%). I'll run it again as soon as I can and post my findings (just about to go for a beer or six). It MIGHT have been the case that I had destabilised my system after the first hang (on the orig test) as I didn't reboot.

Another intersting thing I've discovered is that the Magic Bullet plugin has my CPU reporting that it is only running at 25% (ish). Does that mean that MB is only using one processor? Shame if that is the case as I was hoping for a REAL boost in speed when using MB.

Cheers,

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...