DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Network Rendering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/92892-network-rendering.html)

John L. Miller May 1st, 2007 09:11 AM

Network Rendering

I was considering using my second PC to take advantage of Network Rendering, but I think I read somewhere in the manual that certain plugin effects and some native vegas effects will not work with network rendering. That is why the little icon next to the effect is black looking. Can someone comment on this or verify it. What happens if you try to network render using one of these effects? Thanks. J

Edward Troxel May 1st, 2007 09:36 AM

Effects should be fine as long as they're installed on both machines. Same is true with fonts and anythings beyond standard Vegas. Outputting some file TYPES (i.e. MPEG2) doesn't work when rendering on multiple machines. However, you CAN set a single network machine to do the entire render in that case.

John L. Miller May 1st, 2007 06:47 PM

What else would you render to? Most circumstances of a file with any size needs to be Mpeg2 to fit, right? So, just to make sure I am not stupid here, if I render a file to an Mpeg2, I cannot use Network rendering? thanks. J

Bill Ravens May 1st, 2007 08:28 PM

I think you'll find that, regardless of what format you render to, because of the overhead associated with multiple machine renders, unlss your file is extremely large, network renders won't save you any render time.

John L. Miller May 1st, 2007 08:59 PM

My next project is a 90 minute full feature. But again, it will be MPEG2 in the end. So, network rendering will not help me? thanks. j

Don Donatello May 1st, 2007 09:18 PM

from my experience using NRS 2 machines could take longer then 1 becuase it's the 'stitching" that takes alot of time ( combining the clips from the 2 computers into one file) .... infact i'll say 3 machines might be equal to one ( depends on project ) .. 4 computers will beat one .. 5 & 6 computers you are way ahead of one computer ( for a small project it might take 6 computers a total of 5 min to render the files and 10 min to stitch all them together into one file ( stitching is done by one computer )......

with 2 computers networked - you can be editing on "A" computer and assign rendering jobs to computer B ... or assign different rendering jobs to both ... "A" computer can assign a mpeg rendering job to B computer ...

John L. Miller May 1st, 2007 10:00 PM

Looks as though two networked computers will not benefit me at all. thanks for all the comments. J

Jason Robinson May 2nd, 2007 09:39 AM

Sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by John L. Miller (Post 671103)
Looks as though two networked computers will not benefit me at all. thanks for all the comments. J

I have found a benefit in that I assign the render to the second computer and then continue working on the first. No increase in render time, but at least you can use your first computer still.

jason