stabilization in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

stabilization in Vegas

IS there a way to stabilize HDV image in Vegas post? Or a thir party plug-in? TIA!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

See this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90389
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Seth. Today I downloaded the Vegas 7.0e patch in hope some stabilizer has been implemented, but unfortunately it's still not there...

The Virtualdub plug-in DeShaker, as well as the 2d3 SteadyMove Pro - they both work on avi only, right? Or can I apply them to m2t's?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

i would reco,end you use Huffy YUV or Sony YUV as these are 422 colour space and use less compression, but not as much as uncompressed.
In turn, the processed repaired footage will be nigh on identical to the original, unlike streadyhand which is good, but also changes the luminance of the clip

Deshaker is still king, and no vegas doesnt have, and more than likely wont ever have a stabilising plugin
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Peter, in layman's terms - I have an .m2t clip in Vegas, and, before loading to Virtualdub, I render it as what? Windows avi?

Frankly, I'd be grateful for a hint on the entire workflow for HDV. I have a PC fast enough to not use intermediate avi's; I do my basic cuttin/trimming/cc-ing on raw m2t's then render to mpeg-2. In order to minimize recompressions, when in the workflow should I consider using Deshaker, when I come across a shaky scene? Should I export it as Windows avi from my Vegas timeline, de-shake it, save as uncompressed avi (have lots of disk space), and replace it in Vegas timeline with the de-shaken version, then render everything to the final MPEG-2 as usual?

Or is there a better way? TIA!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 3rd, 2007 at 05:42 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Even before getting an answer to my previous question, I have a next one: I have given Deshaker a go and can't even assess how good it is on its main task, because I have problems with the output .avi file (I'm using uncompressed):

- even though defined as 1440x1080, HDV 1.33 pixel, the otput is squeezed 4:3

- the output seems to be slow-motion, have no idea why!

Anybody?

PS. Strange; the de-shaken clip plays 4:3 and slowed-down on its own, but is OK when imported back to Vegas! The original avi I exported from Vegas (the one before deshaking) plays OK also outside Vegas... Why is that?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 5th, 2007 at 02:12 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...