What can 7.0 do with HDV that 6.0 can't? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Ok, I have defragged C:, moved swap file from C: to another drive, optimized my bios, rendered to different drives and I still can't render the original rendertest.veg in less than 27 seconds. However, I can render John Cline's new rendertest-hdv.veg in 155 seconds. Go figure (shrug).

Ok, thanks, John. I had the wrong output file format. Duh! Original rendertest.veg now renders in 12 sec. That's more like it.

Last edited by Guy Bruner; May 8th, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Major Player

I have a P4 @ 2.8 ghz, will this be enough to run HDV (HV20 footage) smoothly with Vegas 7.0? As it stands right now, the footage can't run smoothly with Vegas 5.0 (my current system) so I'm hoping this is related to the version of Vegas that I have, and not my CPU.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Glen,
Vegas 7 handles HDV better than v.5, but I doubt you will be able to see enough improvement to make the experience better. My core 2 duo would edit it but not at full framerate in preview unless I went to draft mode. Putting it in Full (Best) would drag it to less than 10 fps. My quad core zips right through it with a single video track.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner View Post
Glen,
Vegas 7 handles HDV better than v.5, but I doubt you will be able to see enough improvement to make the experience better. My core 2 duo would edit it but not at full framerate in preview unless I went to draft mode. Putting it in Full (Best) would drag it to less than 10 fps. My quad core zips right through it with a single video track.
So in other words, I'm going to need a Quad Core machine to edit HV20-1080-24f footage the way I use to edit SD?
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #20

Editing four streams of HDV mixed with XDCAM quite regularly with full/usually full frame playback at Preview/Auto, sized to half rez. This setting has always been the recommended playback in previous versions of Vegas, and still is.
You can edit HDV quite easily on any dual core machine, assuming you're not running antivirus or other background apps. Dual 270 machine (dual dual core) is a great way to work, we've got 5 of these machines running, and all are HDV or XDCAM on the timeline, all the time.
Faster is better, but not necessary. If you've got a dual core system, you should always be able to achieve full framerate playback at Preview/Auto
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Editing four streams of HDV mixed with XDCAM quite regularly with full/usually full frame playback at Preview/Auto, sized to half rez. This setting has always been the recommended playback in previous versions of Vegas, and still is.
You can edit HDV quite easily on any dual core machine, assuming you're not running antivirus or other background apps. Dual 270 machine (dual dual core) is a great way to work, we've got 5 of these machines running, and all are HDV or XDCAM on the timeline, all the time.
Faster is better, but not necessary. If you've got a dual core system, you should always be able to achieve full framerate playback at Preview/Auto
Thanks Douglas, that's good to know. I'm only looking to have one HDV track on my time line at once, along with six to eight other audio tracks. I'm only going to be performing simple cuts, fades, dissolves and some color correction.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #22
Major Player

Well, I just put Vegas 7.0 on my system before upgrading my hardware, and wow, what a difference! The HDV actually plays smoothly without the need for a new processor!
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Major Player

Well, it actually only plays smoothly in a small preview window. Where as before it wouldn't play at all.
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #24
Trustee

It's nice when you get a big boost just from software. Save your money and there will be some fancy new quadcore processors late this year. They may even be affordable early next year. The best news for me is that the new quadcore chips (Penryn?) will be the same socket as my Core2Duo and much faster.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...