Vegas 7.0e locking up computer- how to go back to 7.0d - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Atilano View Post
I dont understand how you un-install E. I tried to re-install D and it says to undo E but how without deleteing the whole program?
You have to uninstall E to be able to re-install D.
It took me 10 min. max to do this.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #17
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Atilano
I dont understand how you un-install E. I tried to re-install D and it says to undo E but how without deleteing the whole program?
The same way you uninstall ALL Window's programs:

Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Program - pick Sony Vegas 7 to be uninstalled.

This won't touch any projects you are working on but may very well reset any preferences you have changed.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #18
New Boot

Crash during building peaks in 7.0e

I have contacted Vegas support with the building peaks crash problem.
It is a bit ridiculous how the support handles customer problems. At first they try to blame the customer's computer (too slow...). Then they suggested to used blacked tapes. Other users of this forum encounter the same "building peaks" crash problem with version 7.0e. It seams to be a bug in 7.0 e.

Workaround for 7.0e users: Enable "Build peaks for visible events only" in the Options -> Preferences dialog. Disable HDV scene detection to get big files. When you add a file to the timeline quickly press 'Cancel' in the lower left corner when the peak building starts. This should prevent most of the crashes.

These are the e-mails I have exchanged with Vegas support:

My statement:
Complete new installation of Sony Vegas 7.0e on my new computer. When I choose "Add to project media list" on a previously captured m2t file, the action "Building peaks" freezes and Vegas crashes completely. I have to kill Vegas with the windows task manager. The problem can be reproduced with the same file. I have to delete the file and recapture it.
HDV scene detection is disabled, but the problem seems to be independent from the file size. Sometimes it happens with 300 MB files and sometimes with 2 GB files.
This is a big problem for me, as the constant re-capturing takes a lot of time. On the other hand I do not want to disable the peak building, as it is a good feature.
Do you have a solution for this problem?

Sony statement:
Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software.
When you're running Vegas, do you have other products also running in the background? Building peaks can be very processor intensive.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time and you will see a list of the programs currently running (some users will have to hit the "Task Manager" button). Move over to the Processes Tab and click the "Image Name" heading at the top left of this window to view these items in alphabetical order. Close everything showing on that list except for the items listed below. To end a process, highlight it and click the End Process button at the bottom of the window.
End every process except for:

alg.exe
ccmexec.exe
csrss.exe
explorer.exe
lsass.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (there may be more than one of these, you can leave them all running)
System Idle Process
System
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
wmiprvse.exe
You may have other Users logged into the system and displayed on this list, but make sure you log them off and close down their processes as well.

My statement:
Thank you for your advice.
The problem isn't solved. No other applications are running in the background. No other users are logged on into the system.
The AMD Athlon 5000+ DualCore with 2 GB RAM should be capable of doing the peak building.
The computer is quite new. There are hardly any other applications installed. I have installed all Microsoft updates for Windows XP.
The crash happens very often. It always happens with the same files at the same percentage of the peak building process.
Using "8 bit peaks" doesn't help.
What can I do? Other users in the internet have downgraded from Vegas 7.0e to 7.0d. Do you think this would be a good idea?

Sony statement:
Hello,
Did you use a blacked tape? For instance, run through the whole tape with the lens cover on? This could be causing the issue, and we recommend it for two reasons: it lays down continuous time code, protecting you from Time Code resets; and some think it helps shake loose dust and detritus left over from manufacturing, slightly reducing the risk of dropouts during critical recording.
We've seen some problems with people using brand new, unblacked tapes or tapes that have been reused many many times without blacking.

My statement:
You are close to the reason of the problem, I think. Vegas seems to have issues to build the audio peaks when the timecode isn't continuous. But blacking the tape wouldn't change anything, as during recording the old timecode will be overwritten. In addition the blacking costs a lot of effort and will wear the camcorder's heads.
This is no solution.
Vegas as a professional program must be able to work with m2t files with time code leaks. It should say "cannot build peaks", but it should not crash!
Now, at every load of my project, I will have to quickly press the 'cancel' button when the peak building starts. Otherwise I will get a Vegas hangup...
Can the peak building be disabled? This would be a workaround for now so I could contiunue to work.

Sony statement:
Hello,
You can turn of building peaks for anything that's not in the timeline under Options>Preferences>General, but Vegas has to build peaks to put a clip into the timeline. Blacking a tape, does in fact, add timecode to the whole tape, and makes these issues occur more infrequently. Since this happens with the same clips every time, and on new tapes, I'm guessing this is the reason for this error and issue.

My statement:
Dear Katy,
thank you very much for your fast answers.
I have turned off the peak building events which are not in the timeline. This helps a bit.
Have a good week-end.
Axel Ehrich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...