DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Cannot import some AVI files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/94529-cannot-import-some-avi-files.html)

Kit Hannah May 20th, 2007 06:59 PM

Cannot import some AVI files

Are there certain AVI files Vegas will not import? I'm trying to bring in an avi file but it's not working. It's a straight up avi file (might be an x-vid or something like that). Is there a way to get Vegas to import these so they can be edited?

Thanks
Kit

Edward Troxel May 20th, 2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
Is there a way to get Vegas to import these so they can be edited?

You need the codec used by those files. You must find a Video for Windows codec for that type of file. Remember, "AVI" is not the file type - it's just the wrapper for many different codecs.

Ian Stark May 21st, 2007 12:52 AM

I have successfully used a little utility called, charmingly, G-Spot which helps you determine all sorts of useful things about the codec in use by a video file.

You can find it here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

With the information it gives you should be able to locate the right codec for any given file.

It will also give you a clue if the file is broken in some way, in which case you will want to look at an avi repair utililty (a quick google will reveal billions of such tools but here's the one I've used in the past http://www.fixvideo.com/products/avi...ixjoiner.html). They're all pretty basic in my opinion and I've had probably not much better than 50% success.

In your case, Kit, it sounds like you need a codec from here: http://www.xvid.org/

Hope that's of use.

Ian . . .

Kit Hannah May 21st, 2007 01:36 AM

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I have all the codecs on another computer, but the computers we use to edit with are not hooked up to the internet for virus/adware purposes. I used one of the computers with the codecs to burn a dvd of the stuff we needed, then imported it straight to Vegas. I guess I always assumed those codecs were for Windows Media Player only. Good call guys.
Kt

Alex Thames May 21st, 2007 02:49 AM

I've been having some problems as well with .avi files.

Example: I watch a YouTube video I like. I download the video from YouTube using one of those applications that turns it into a .flv file. I then use a converter that converts the .flv into .avi. These .avi files seem to play fine with most of my players - Winamp, VLC, Windows Media Classic, etc.

The problem is when I try to import them into Vegas. They will import, but when I drag them onto the timeline, the video portion is completely missing, leaving only the audio track. In the project media section, it shows that it is audio only as well. Why is this?

Ian Stark May 21st, 2007 08:10 AM

Sorry Alex but that one beat me too I'm afraid.

I was looking for (and found) a clip of a long defunct UK tv show to add to a 70th birthday retrospective for a family member (who worked on the long defunct tv show). I must have spent a whole day trying to work out how to get it into Vegas. In the end I was forced to use Camtasia to capture it from Windows Media Player. The results were OK for my purpose as I was 'distressing' the video anyway to look like it was being shown on an old b&w tv set. That's assuming video from YouTube needs distressing further!

Ian Stark May 21st, 2007 08:11 AM

Having thought about this for a further ten seconds, can you import flv's to the Vegas timeline directly?

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 21st, 2007 08:55 AM

No, you cannot import FLV's, but you can import SWF.
If your video came from YouTube, it's not an AVI, it's a SWF file.
You play Youtube videos in your windows Media player?

Ian Stark May 21st, 2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 683048)
No, you cannot import FLV's, but you can import SWF.

Ah, OK.

Quote:

You play Youtube videos in your windows Media player?
Think you must have missed this bit:

Quote:

I then use a converter that converts the .flv into .avi

Alex Thames May 21st, 2007 03:16 PM

The app I use captures videos from YouTube as .flv. I don't see anywhere that says it is a .swf file. I use a .flv player such as Wimpy FLV player to play these .flv files I've captured from YouTube. Then I use a .flv to .avi converter, which turns the .flv file into an .avi file, but that .avi file does not import correctly into Vegas (only the audio imports, the video track is missing completely), yet these converted .avi files play fine on my other players (Winamp, VLC, etc.).

Any ideas?

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 21st, 2007 03:26 PM

FLV=Flash video
SWF=ShockWave Video

SWF is predominantly for vector/graphics, and FLV is for video. However, SWF can carry video.
I could be wrong, but I thought Youtube delivers FLV in an SWF skin, so I'd have thought they were SWF's. Sounds like they're stripped as FLV's. I've never attempted to catch a video from YouTube. Copyright would prevent us from doing anything with it.

Ian Stark May 21st, 2007 04:15 PM

The words "copyright" and YouTube" just don't sound right together!!

Alex Thames May 21st, 2007 05:50 PM

You could always upload your own original video to YouTube and try downloading that. That would avoid any copyright problems, right?

I'm just confused because upon conversion into .avi that play fine on many players, Vegas can't import the video portion.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 21st, 2007 05:59 PM

That would indicate that the codec your converter uses on output isn't compatible with Vegas. Convert to DV, and you should be fine.

Richard Hunter May 21st, 2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames (Post 683273)
The app I use captures videos from YouTube as .flv. I don't see anywhere that says it is a .swf file. I use a .flv player such as Wimpy FLV player to play these .flv files I've captured from YouTube. Then I use a .flv to .avi converter, which turns the .flv file into an .avi file, but that .avi file does not import correctly into Vegas (only the audio imports, the video track is missing completely), yet these converted .avi files play fine on my other players (Winamp, VLC, etc.).

Any ideas?

Hi Alex. When you view a youtube video, the flv file is held in the Temp Internet Files folder and you can copy it to a more permanent folder if you want to keep it (it's advisable to rename it too).

There is a converter called Super (free download) that handles many formats, and will convert the flv file to something that Vegas can edit. The odd time I've had to convert flv and take it into Vegas, Super has worked very well.

Richard